11 speed on a 531 130 spaced frame

fignonFlyer

Dirt Disciple
Hi has anyone added 11 speed to their retro bike.
I’m thinking of Sram Rival groupset but wondering if there are any limitations when running it on an old frame

Re:

130mm is still the current standard OLN for road bikes without discs. You’ll have no problem, I run an 11 speed Campag Record on a late 80s frame.

You can even run Sram eTap :) but Campagnolo Athena polished silver gruppo will look nice...

Re:

Ooh yes eTap!
I was going with Campag Potenza silver until someone offered me a lightly used Record 11 speed (2013). If you want something special, you could try these guys in Aus: https://www.cycloretro.com/

Only problems i came across is that a drop out that is adequately straight for 8 speed is basically completely useless for 11. You'll need to get it straightened.

If it has a front mech tab, it might be too high for modern 50/34 compact doubles. But you can work round that

Thanks for all the replies, I have a 10 speed Carbony that I could temporarily transplant to try now you good chaps have said 11 is possible.
Good point about the front mech as my 531 does have a front mech braze on tab, but I would probably go 36/52 so hopefully not an issue.
Will be getting the frames refinished so can get Argos Cycles to straighten the rear drop out if needed.
Now is it just me or do highly polished parts that were once a dull anodised finish look odd. Probably me, as I like to remember components as they were originally rather than looking like polished steel.
although I have been given a Cinelli 1R stem where a previous owner has had the bike upside down on the pavement so it’s scratched.

Yeah, i've swapped to a 52/36 on my bike from 50/34 and the front mech, at its lowest physically possible position, fits nicely.

Back