Rear wheel removal assistance

Cgburmie

Retro Newbie
Hi there.
First time poster. I've got an old BSA single speed project that I've just started stripping down to clean. Lots of rust and sticky bolts. Most have come off with a bit of work and lots of WD40. However the right rear wheel nut is stuck. I can get the left off ok. I'm wondering if the little sticking out but is some sort of locknut that I have no idea about and won't budge. Ideas appreciated. FYI I'm using a combination wrench so that I don't strip the nut but not sure what else to use. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 852
Re:

Welcome to Retrobike.

Rather than WD40 I'd recommend you soak it in Plus Gas. Link below is for the aerosol flavour but it's also available in liquid form. Good luck with it. Perhaps the Mods could move this thread to a more appropriate section.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plus-Gas-Rele ... SwQItT7eSA

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Little bit sticking out is part of the axle, not sure why but some old axles had non threaded flat / square sections at the end..

Midlife":mytdlg0h said:
Little bit sticking out is part of the axle, not sure why but some old axles had non threaded flat / square sections at the end..

perhaps to get a spanner on in situations like this to apply counter-pressure?

RickTheUncivil":3uduo4cz said:
perhaps to get a spanner on in situations like this to apply counter-pressure?
Generically refer to them as drive dogs.
In the auto industry they are generally used so you can do up a nut and bolt with one tool from one side. No need for a spanner on the other side.

Also helps when trying to undo bolts, as you can get your reaction force *right* next to your nut. rather than through a long axle. I suspect that's what it's here for. Also helps when you have to take nuts off both ends......
Or so you don't damage the threads leaning the bike up against things.

If you can see a cone lock nut on the inside of the dropout a correct size spanner on that & one on the axle nut re tightening the one on the other end of the axle may help.

Back