Shimano UG/HG cassette wobble

Rio

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys,
I have a Shimano 105 golden Arrow hub, that is UG and HG compatible. I run it with 6 UG cogs at the moment.
There is a wobble when not pedaling while riding. The hub axle is straight.

Any ideas of the cause of this?

I have no clue how the body is connected to the hub either. There is no big hex bolt thing to take it of.

Any help is much appriciated!

Pim

Could be a couple of things.

You get to the hex bolt thing by taking the cone out the drive side. Then it's a 10mm Allen key but you probably won't be able to see it in all the grease. It should be really tight and the freewheel body will be hard up against the spline on the hub body. This is the same setup on UG hubs, UG/HG crossover hubs and HG hubs. Can't comment on Durace hubs with the smaller end thread because I haven't got one.

Check the play isn't in the bearing in the freewheel mechanism. When they wear out, there's a lot of up/down wobble noticeable at the cassette but not in the axle.

Also check the gear plates and spacers are clamped down fully. On the UG setup the bottom gear needs to have tightened hard up against the other gears and not bottomed out on the threads. On the HG setup the locknut needs to have pulled up hard against the gears and not against the end of the freewheel body.

If you get stuck, quite a lot of later HG parts are backward compatible and easy to swap on.

Thanks for your respond!

I had removed the axle completely including cones but I couldn't see any hex key. Even with all the grease removed. I could see that around the cup there seems to be a possibility to unscrew the freewheelbody with a special tool. There is also no buldge on the body side of the hub body, as you would normally see with hubs where you unscrew the body with a 10 mm hex. Do I have a different version, or am I not looking good enough or just missing something? :)

Re:

Er.. you might have a 'block' -on a threaded hub there, which is what we had before about 1984, rather than a 'cassette'? If so, you can probably see an arrangement of shallow splines on the inside, designed to engage with the dedicated removal tool.

The wobble is a result of wear/play in the races/bearings inside the block. Given that the chain wraps around about one half of the diameter of the sprocket, chain tension tends to pull the outer, sprocket-carrying part of the block towards the BB, out of concentricity with the inner part of the block threaded onto the hub body- (the part which revolves when you are freewheeling)

Removing a long-attached block from its hub usually calls for a lot of leverage. This is made easier if your block/hub is still attached via spokes to a rim.

I don;t think I have a freewheel or block. There's a thread inside the freehub body for HG cassette lockring.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I believe it is wear that causes the wobble. But that doesn't matter anymore, found a nice Dura Ace hub that will replace the 105. Makes it possible to mount other cassettes as well :)

Back