Bates BAR frame for rebuild

philk123

Retro Newbie
Hi all. I have inherited a Bates from my kind uncle. He had it resprayed by Eddie Bates in the 80s and it's been sitting in the attic until last week. I plan to get her on the road with a fuxed/single freewheel. I have a used campagnolo super record chainset and various other bits already. The frame dates to around 1948. I have no intention of rebuilding it as it was. What do you think?
I can't add a picture. It says the file is too big

I opened a flickr account and uploaded a photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154118187@N08/?
I don't know how else to do it.

Hi and welcome Philk123
Look forward to seeing your Bates and hearing more about it too.
Most people on here use a photo hosting site such as Flickr.com and the such to post photos.
Also, remember to start a thread about it in the 'readers road bikes' section.

Jamie

Re:

Its all built up and is the best bike I have ever ridden. Every section on strava is a PB. It beats my Principia RCS6 (alu/carbon.Ultegra)!!!
What a machine!
I'll try and put some photos on flicker or whatever it is.
One question - What on earth is the thread size for the mudguard/front light braze ons. Its def not metric or 10/32 UNF?

Re:

The lamp bracket boss will be 5/16 x 26 tpi, same as old front axle. Old standard cycle thread.

I think the original Bates mudguard screws had a flat head about 3/8 inch with a knurled edge so that they could be fitted using fingers only, and were chrome plated.

Probably 3/16 by 32 tpi, 2BA is 31.4 tpi and slightly smaller.

Keith

Back