Benotto Tape on a Dawes? Surely not!

ZG862

Retro Guru
Hello folks.

I've nearly completed the component gathering for a Dawes Imperial rebuild project I'm working on. However, I'm stumped trying to identify and source the original white pearlescent handlebar tape.

Even though the Imperial was "top of the range" in 1984, I don't ever remember them being into fancy pants Italian exotics. Does anyone happen to know what they would have used back then?

My best guess is perhaps Ciclolinea (Italian too I know, but pitched at mid market)? Hubjub (http://hubjub.co.uk/) are listing this at a sensible price but alas are presently out of stock, so if anyone knows where I might get a couple of rolls I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Z
PS/ Yes I know Cinelli gel tape is WAAAAYYY more comfortable. :)

Thanks Little Al!

I'd also posted this enquiry on (whisper it) bikeforums and a very nice chap called Ragnar Jensen rummaged a NOS packet of Benotto out of his spares box. Spontaneous kindness!
I reckon there's a reasonably high chance that Dawes use the Cyclo product, so my Imperial is going to be fractionally classier - although I still need some Dawes end plugs.

So, only a couple of bits to go before I begin the "polish-athon" of my motley collection of old alloy to bring it up to the standard of the few NOS bits and pieces I've acquired. S'pose a saddle would be handy; Hold out for a reasonably-priced silver Kashimax (original, rocking horse poo) or bung a white San Marco Supercorsa X on there - what do you reckon?

Z

Alas no. Might be worth trying Hubjub again though? (link above).

Z
PS/ Unless you're doing a retentive rebuild like mine, there really are better options...

I'm doing a replica of a national champion & he used Benotto white tape

My search goes on....

There's plenty of it on Ebay - problem is 2-fold:
1) It tends to be in the US so the p&p is huge
2) People want bonkers prices for it. 40 quid for slippery plastic handlebar tape? I must be getting properly old.

Z-the-miserly

Nob":2lv7g1ec said:
Does he have anymore white? I'm still seeking white..
Nob, there is a packet of white for sale on Ebay.co.uk under Benotto tape Eye watering price though

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Little Al":19wb0m6p said:
Nob":19wb0m6p said:
Does he have anymore white? I'm still seeking white..
Nob, there is a packet of white for sale on Ebay.co.uk under Benotto tape Eye watering price though

Gotta take it problem is the seller doesn't ship to KSA. :(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back