26" x 1¼" rims Airlite SF hubs - WHICH SPOKES and NIPPLES?

deliquium

Retro Guru
A friend has asked me to build some wheels using EDIT: stainless steel? 26" x 1¼" rims (32/40) and small flange Airlite hubs. Which spokes and nipples to use?

It appears these require 15/17g spokes and appropriate nipples.

The rims' spoke drillings are too small for Sapim Polyax nipples and the hub drillings are too small for the threaded part of a 2mm spoke end.

What does the modern builder do?

It's common to drill the hub holes out to 2mm but it would be a shame to do this to Airlite hubs.

There is a bike shop that holds the older gauge spokes. Hopefully someone will know who it is.

Re:

Back in the 50s I would have used 15/17 G butted spokes 113/8 inches, both wheels. Might be a little shorter on the gear side if the wheel is dished.
Rarely used anything heavier. 15G is close enough to 1.8mm.

If the rims are dunlop special lightweight steel they are both staggered and angled.
Keith

Re:

Edited as just realised the rims are not chrome plated steel :roll: So possibly Dunlop “Stainless Special Lightweight”? They have heavily staggered/offset drillings.

Re: Re:

keithglos":1h8f1v45 said:
Back in the 50s I would have used 15/17 G butted spokes 113/8 inches, both wheels. Might be a little shorter on the gear side if the wheel is dished.
Rarely used anything heavier. 15G is close enough to 1.8mm.

If the rims are dunlop special lightweight steel they are both staggered and angled.
Keith

MADGETTS sell 15/17g stainless steel spokes and nipples :D

And I've just ordered 74x 288mm - pretty close to your 11 3/8" Keith :D

Oh and the rims aren't stainless steel either - they're aluminium and appear to be Conloy ASP

Many thanks for all the advice :D

Attachments

• 0783.jpg
    0783.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 0784.jpg
    0784.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 396
Re:

The asp is a deeper rim, the spokes will be shorter, at least 1/8th inch, if my aging memory is working.
Cross 3 for 32, 4 for 40.

Keith

Back