Best setup for a Colnago thats going to be ridden?

Colnagoni

Retro Newbie
I wonder if the experts in gearing could help me please?

I acquired a Colnago Super a few years ago and, in a hurry, put a 1980's 1st Gen Chorus groupset on it. I managed to get round the 100 mile Eroica Britannia route on it, but Mam Nick on a 42T chainring, was horrific.

I'm planning on restoring the paint to its original condition but I want to keep on riding it as well, and thoughts were turning to what would be the best groupset - ideal requirements would be: Alloy (not black obviously), ideally Italian, able to run a compact chainring and as many gears as possible at the back?

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 733
Re:

That's a lot of seat post showing, sure it's big enough?

Yep - the seatpost is within its limits and it fits me really well. Two Eroica's (and other rides) completed without any problems.

Firstly you could fit a 39T ring on the front along with a 13-29 cassette.

Nicest perhaps is to fit a Campag MTB triple chainset, alternatively there are lots of the slightly later triples which look very similar. I run a 12-23 with a 24/39/48 with the Racing T rear mech. It feels like a normal road groupset (I hate widely spaced gears) but has 'crawler gear' capability for if/when I feel shattered.

Colnagoni":1ov9mxzd said:
, but Mam Nick on a 42T chainring, was horrific.
mam nick in any gear is horrific .... I avoid it like the plague, even on 34x27 and modern carbon.

1996-ish Chorus 9 speed (pointy top ergos) would float my boat, bombproof indexing - adjust once a year if that. Prices are sensible - £20-40 ish for rear mechs, £50-80 for ergos (which are rebuildable), new cassettes still available...etc etc.

And it's all nicely finished and looks like a proper Italian thing.

Cheers :D good call.

hamster":6lw6abox said:
1996-ish Chorus 9 speed (pointy top ergos) would float my boat, bombproof indexing - adjust once a year if that. Prices are sensible - £20-40 ish for rear mechs, £50-80 for ergos (which are rebuildable), new cassettes still available...etc etc.

And it's all nicely finished and looks like a proper Italian thing.

Re:

If modern the Campagnolo Athena 11 gruppo with compact cranks would look good if you get the polished silver version.

Your stem looks dangerously past the insert level there!

I put a Campy Athena alloy crank with an alloy Potenza group on my new Arabesque build and it looks great. Go with the medium rear hanger and you can go up on the gearing for the hills.

Latest posts

Back