Copper Jewel

Sounds great.

I believe it's pretty tricky to get the lacquer to stick to the chrome. I'm sure there are experts who know how though.

Montello":wgc8n8p9 said:
Sounds great.

I believe it's pretty tricky to get the lacquer to stick to the chrome. I'm sure there are experts who know how though.

They would have used an acrylic lacquer I would have thought. Modern coatings are better, but might need a bonding coat of something between the chrome and coloured tint

I'm sure they are using a different process these days to get that effect.

I was told the process used in the 80s got banned due to the nasty chemicals involved ...

I used to work in the paint industry in the 1980's and the only thing that changed was the use of solvents, lacquer used to be fast drying using toluene or Methyl Ethyl Ketone, I think both of those fell out of use because of health worries, but the lacquer itself, the resin, is still the same, but now it just dries a bit slower.

ourmanflint":kajbkdjq said:
I used to work in the paint industry in the 1980's and the only thing that changed was the use of solvents, lacquer used to be fast drying using toluene or Methyl Ethyl Ketone, I think both of those fell out of use because of health worries, but the lacquer itself, the resin, is still the same, but now it just dries a bit slower.

Ah ... interesting. Thanks.

Back