Gios Torino advice

Thanks all..

I've still got Sante on the bench, but have looked at 600EX & 7400, also early Chorus, for practicality I think 7-8 speed will be ok if I can get a 14-28 cassette or similar. I do like the Arabesque groupset, but confused as to how it relates to 600EX, and how interchangeable it is

If you have kit already, use it and see how you go. 80s Super Record is really what’s meant to be on that though but it’s pricey. I built and sold a Gios with a Galli groupset which I bought off eBay for a couple on hundred quid so there are some bargains out there. Worth looking out for a tatty donor bike with the right bits

+1 for Galli stuff especially the crit brakes with full Titanium pivots etc only bettered by the Mavic (Modolo) 430 with full Titanium fittings as used by the teams of the day.

Can anybody suggest a pair of clincher rims I should be looking at, I've had GP4's before & the Monthery's look nice but want to stay away from tubulars if possible

Re:

Have you tried dating that frame? Could be as early as 1976: http://www.giostorino.it/registro-stori ... l-registro

Would you care to measure the distance in mm between the inside faces of the rear dropouts and share it with us?

Apologies if this sounds harsh, ourmanflint... but some of your questions regarding what to put on this frame give you the air of someone who set out to buy a secondhand pony and accidentally ended up with a retired thoroughbred racehorse.. possibly without even realising it? If you want the GP4 vibe but not tubulars, then look for MA40s. If you don't want black, then look for Module E or MA2s. There are other options, of course. Personally I'd start with a headset and a bottom bracket.

I take it you have checked that the frame will fit your girlfriend? Just because it is slightly too small for you, that doesn't automatically mean it is the right size for her? Are you attempting to seduce your reluctant girlfriend into Eroica participation? What does she ride at the moment?

Hi

The distance between rear dropout inner faces is 126-127mm.

I do hear you regarding my daft questions, as I said before I had a GT Super Record in the 80's, my first real racing bike. I lost it sometime in the early 90's and have always regretted it. I saw this frame for sale recently on another forum, and was just too good to miss, so now I'm trying to get up to speed again asap.
I've forgotten so much about retro groups & equipment, I'm trying to kickstart the old grey matter back into action.
Regarding my choices of what to put on this, you're right, it sounds very odd, but was something I had to work through, having initially decided that I didn't want to spend too much on this, just enjoy building it and enjoy the missus riding it with me.

FFWD a few days & I am getting down to the nitty gritty, lots of research, & I have been blown away by the choice & levels of equipment that were available in the 70's & 80's, stuff I was never aware of before. I've gone through a lot of different choices for the frame, all weighed up against how practical it would be to ride, not just look at. The wife currently rides a 51-53cm Specialized Elite flat bar version

I'm pretty sure this is a pre 77 frame as the seller was a big bike geek & I don't think he would have sold me a duff.

Cheers

Re:

The problem with these kind of threads is that people start building your bike for you.. in their heads.. using their own methodology and agenda..

If you are OK with 42 teeth minimum, and want something period, and Campag-dimensioned, (and with some life left in the teeth) without paying the Campag premium, something like this might be a good start:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=373437
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=373439
I assume the Gios frame has an Italian threaded 70mm BB shell.. and a 42mm stack-height designed to accomodate the towering Campag SR Strada headset ?

Thanks for the links, but think I have found what I'm looking for, a VGC some NOS Dura Ace 7100 groupset, with a few extras.

Will keep thread posted as build goes

Re:

With that BB shell, it looks like a 76 -79 frame - a v1 Super Record. After that the v2 frame had slots instead. I haven't seen those forks before, were they originally chromed?

Back