Flying Scot Tip Find

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
I visited my local Recycling Centre (Rubbish Tip) on Saturday and sitting outside the little on-site shop was the following....

It seemed interesting and when the chap in the shop said "We get a lot of interest in the racing bikes so we have to ask for a tenner!" I snapped it up!

Once I got it home and had a closer look, the investigation into its identity could begin....

Attachments

• Scot Frame_a.jpg
    Scot Frame_a.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 834
  • Scot Forks_a.jpg
    Scot Forks_a.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 834
  • Scot Head Tube_a.jpg
    Scot Head Tube_a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 832
  • Scot Seat Cluster_a.jpg
    Scot Seat Cluster_a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 835
Re:

A quick look online indicated that the following combination of dropouts was pretty unique to just one make, The Flying Scot!

Not sure why the rear hanger has been cut off? Maybe a Fixed conversion?

This was further confirmed by the Frame number which matched the Flying Scot numbering location and format, which indicated that it was a 1956.

The frame number is also repeated in exactly the location you'd expect to see it on a Flying Scot.

Attachments

• Scot Front Dropout_a.jpg
    Scot Front Dropout_a.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 822
  • Scot Rear Dropout_a.jpg
    Scot Rear Dropout_a.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 824
  • Scot Frame Number_a.jpg
    Scot Frame Number_a.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 824
  • Scot Fork Number_a.jpg
    Scot Fork Number_a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 821
Re:

A few more details....

Milremo Stem

Stronglight Crankset, which appears to be a later addition, and SR Track Pedals

Brooks B27 Champion Model

It also has a Tange Headset, a Stronglight Bottom Bracket, a pair of Weinmann Levers, Centre pull Mavic on the front and a side pull Weinmann on the rear. I can't tell what the bars are yet as they are fully taped.

I just need to decide what to do with it now, as I have a queue of about 4 other frames waiting to be built up.

Attachments

• Scot Stem_a.jpg
    Scot Stem_a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 812
  • Scot Chainset_a.jpg
    Scot Chainset_a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 812
  • Scot Brooks_a.jpg
    Scot Brooks_a.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 812
Re:

What a lovely find - and for only a tenner. Well done !
You are fortunate your tip allows stuff to be bought. Many will not allow this on the grounds of Health and Safety. After all, you might kill yourself on it and then blame the tip !
Simplex gear hangers were often specific to Simplex gears so if you wanted to fit a Campag, you couldn't. Another reason for sawing off the hanger and replacing with a bolt on hanger secured to the drop out.
Good luck with the build.

Re:

Apple Tree,

Our local Tip did stop selling stuff a few years ago, but then, a few months back, an actual little shop sprung up. It's located at the same site, but is an independent facility. I assume this just has to meet regular Charity and Second-hand shop regulations, which is how they get around (away!) with it.

Should be something all Recycling Centres do, as I imagine so much stuff, not just bike related, goes to waste.

Re:

Thats a Cyclo Benelux gear hanger, or was. The frame looks mid to late 50's.
The front ends could also be Cyclo.

The rear ends were Cyclo poor immitation of forged ends.

Re:

The rear dropouts are stamped "BREV SIMPLEX" so have to assume they are Simplex?

Correct about the frame. As already stated the frame it's dated as a 1956 from the Flying Scot frame number. F = 1956

According to the Flying Scot website (http://www.flying-scot.com) the front dropouts are indeed Cyclo....

Attachments

• Dropouts.JPG
    Dropouts.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 755
Ralph, My eyes are failing, should have enlarged the screen res.
I had a few bikes with Sinplex ends like that back in the 50s.

The frame still looks mid 50s though.

Keith.

Re:

Centre pull Mavic
Just to put the icing on the cake of Ralph the Rohan's good fortune, from what I can see, that might be a somewhat rare Mafac Top 63 front caliper as well.

Back