Gios Torino advice

ourmanflint

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

have bought a Gios frame for my girlfriend, as it's a tad on small side for me. It's not in original condition, as forks are not chromed and brake holes have been drilled out to take hex bolts. Hope I don't get flamed too much for this but don't really car or worry about restoring to original condition, but just wanted to ask what groupset would be acceptable if she wanted to do the whole eroica thing next year?

Can't afford Record so that's a no go, just want it to look as "pretty" as possible for her to make sure she rides the thing.

Was thinking Shimano groupset, something like arabesque or even Sante, is that bad?

Pictures coming

no opinions eh?

OK. I'm slightly moving to an early dura ace groupset just to make it practical to ride for the missus. What would be a good price for full DA 7400 for example?

Cheers

I did read your first post but just thought build it how you want, not what others think. :)
The Dura Ace stuff varies quite a bit in price. I think it's cheaper to pick up individual components from different places than it is to buy a complete groupset. They always seem to be very high money and usually there's something in it you don't like the look of, whereas there is always lots of individual pieces being sold on all the usual places.
7410 chainset in good condition I would think would be about £50 - £70 with rings, again though condition dependant. £30 - £40 for rear mech etc, £30 for a front etc. These are just off the top of my head to give you a rough idea.
Just keep an eye out and you can find some things still at realistic prices. I picked up a good condition first gen Dura Ace chainset with rings and DA caps for £21 the other week. A slight polish and they look great. Maybe put a wanted ad up in the wanted section once you know what model you want to go for.
I prefer my Shimano to anything else so I think it's a good choice but I am sure someone will be along that will be horrified :)
It's a lovely Gios and will be a great ride once done.

Jamie

Looks really suited to the job. I would source wheels first - this will define which way you go. Personally I would either go for cheap period correct build with Campag Triomphe / Victory or a retromod using 7 speed 1050 gear with indexed downtube shifters.

What wheel size would be best 700c or 27 1/4, can't say I truly understand if they would even fit, as I assumed all wheels were 700c until recently

There are some Gipiemme chainsets for little money and good quality and match it with a pair of dual sprint pedals.

Wheel size will be 700c as it is Italian. Be sure to measure the rear dropout spacing (probably 126mm, maybe 130mm) before looking at wheels.

If you want it pretty then it has to be Campag. 1st gen athena or chorus would look nice in my opinion; smooth lines and shiny.

Agreed; any Campag before 2012 looks great. The earliest indexing never worked well, so if you insist on indexing it has to be Shimano. However 6 speed is such a doddle to change gear that indexing is unnecessary.

I never thought that Shimano would be knocking out nicer looking kit than Campag but yes you're right new Campag just isn't as t once was...

I also agree with the early kit not indexing as well as Shimano of the same era. So maybe Shimano 600ex similar look to DA 7400 but half the price or Shimano 600 Ultegra which is a rather sleek groupset imo. If you want Campag then perhaps something later like Veloce with Ergo's although the 130mm rear hub maybe an issue....

In regard to the OP's original Sante suggestion I'd say no to that. Love the group but it'll be quite hard to find and wouldn't suit the frame imho

Back