Today's ROAD ride

Re:

Thanks for the info Nick. Sounds like a lot of uphills! :shock:

Loved the route, thanks for the map. Don't think I'll do it again on my own though! I am planning a route around Ross-on-Wye and Coleford though. Good to see you too, mate. Thanks for the ride tip off

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":18g74mlx said:
I'm planning a route around Ross-on-Wye and Coleford

Mike

Mike

not sure what your riding Road or Mtb

but if you can make it work a stop off at the Saracens head is well worth it, right on the banks of the River Wye and a nice ride out along the river to Monmouth and then cut back into the Dean

http://www.saracensheadinn.co.uk/discover/cycling/

wish I could take some time off work and join you, the scenery and tracks in the Wye Valley are (I think) far nicer than the Severn Valley side

failing that take Mrs Muz to the Saracens Head for lunch , there's plenty going on and the view point/ walk at Simmond Yat rock is well worth the effort

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/en ... ndsyatrock

Spud

Re:

Thanks Nick ;)

I'll look them up, hoping for one more road ride, and a couple of mtb rides while I'm here

Mike

Now yesterday's ride and not anything exciting other than the obligatory 40 mile spin round the Nurburnbikering (or new born bike ring) with a reincarnated Kaffenback... build thread @ http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=374038

Stopped off at a flower shop after the ride to get some dead plants for the missus (annual wedding day remembrance today) and counted 7 people stopping for a look at the bike as they walked past. Not all of them were hipsters.

Attachments

• 20170917_143910-1024x768.jpg
    20170917_143910-1024x768.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 20170917_144017-768x1024.jpg
    20170917_144017-768x1024.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 490
Re:

Nice bike!

Went out this morning, not put off by the rain, for a ride. Here's a view - albeit not a good photo of it - of the area I'm staying in. Looking down over the Severn Estuary.

IMG_1465 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I may be soaked after only a couple of miles, but I'm still smiling!

WP_20170921_11_12_11_Selfie(1)[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Past the large church at Flaxley,

IMG_1467 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Part of Flaxley Abbey, hence the size, despite bugger all houses in the area!

Through Mitcheldean, and across the border into Herefordshire.

IMG_1468 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

En-route to Ross-on-Wye. The pub seemed welcome, but was too early in the ride, and I was soaked anyway!

IMG_1470 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Along the A40 into Ross, the standing water was pretty bad, and I was getting sprayed by the occasional car wheel, just to add to the grimness! Thankfully, that was as bad as it would get!

Into Ross, I like it here, taking a couple of shots as I did so,

IMG_1472 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1473 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Before venturing out on smaller roads, the sky was looking a bit less grey as well, which was welcome!

Heading for Goodrich, over the Wye we went,

IMG_1476 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

before going over another smaller bridge in the direction of Symonds Yat Rock.

IMG_1477 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1478 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I like the nice solid looking buildings around here,

IMG_1479 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then up the narrow road, small ring, middle of the gears at the back

IMG_1480 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

It had at last stopped raining, and I had the confidence to take my windproof off for the first time !

WP_20170921_12_22_01_Selfie(1)[1] by Michael Murray, on Flickr

It was a bit of a surprise to find the steepest part of the climb still lay ahead, just around the corner. Thankfully, I managed to crunch into the 21 without anything breaking ! and make it to the top ok!

Then I skirted around Coleford, another nice town ( with a great bakery! ) , heading back into the forest, and past Speech House hotel.

IMG_1482 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

The final long climb took me through Cinderford - the less said, the better - and I wanted to see if I could make it up on the big ring, so no photos of that I'm afraid. But at the top, looking down, towards the low cloud that still lingered.

IMG_1483 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

We then had a long downhill, then a left into a little lane,

IMG_1484 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

That took me up the 1 in 5 - 1 in 7, according to the O/S map I had with me, back up to where I started,

IMG_1486 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And a clearer view over the Severn.

IMG_1487 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Now drying my washed stuff, so I can venture out again tomorrow! :shock:

IMG_1488 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

All in all, a nice ride, in grim weather to start, but nonetheless enjoyable. The Sun came out this afternoon, and was shining throughout the rest of the day.

Great for our afternoon walk! :roll:

Mike

Mike
I know just about every inch of road you travelled and as I scrolled down I was convinced you were heading for Tintern Abbey but you cut back into the Forest ...
That hill up to Speech House is great in either direction
Glad your enjoying your stay!

Re:

Thanks Nick,

Been having a great time mate. Hope to get to Cannop again tomorrow morning for a quick lap, before heading for Ellwood! ;)

Mike

The History Man":2okcbfta said:
Don't stay too long in the forest. Not unless you want extra digits.

Since its been said a KitKat has more fingers than me these day.... perhaps I should consider moving back down there :LOL:

Re:

But I like it.

Went for a walk at the Nags Head nature reserve this afternoon. Was a wonderful walk, in nice sunshine! :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back