Harry Hill's 1954 AS Gillott (Ron Cooper Frame)

Re:

As a renovation starter for 10....if anyone knows where I can get a replacement Gillott head badge....

....and if there are anymore questions. Please ask.

Regards

Sand_Dune

Re: Harry Hill Gillott Frame

Hey Guys.

I thought I would report back on the research I have been doing in order to get a back story for the frame....

In summary....
It would appear the bicycle belonged to Harry Hill. (1916-2007) He won the bronze medal in the 4000m team pursuit in the 1936 Berlin Olympics with Ernest Mills, Ernest Johnson and Charles King. Hill also became the first person to cycle 25 miles in an hour on an outdoor track, in Milan in 1937.

The research and some photos
I looked at the electoral rolls for the house number and post code stamped upon the bottom bracket. #607 OL10 2QM (Heywood Old Road).
The electoral register showed that from 1955-1965 Harry Heaton Hill and Daphne Alys Hill lived at this address. (see attached register copies)

Attachments

• Electoral register.jpg
    Electoral register.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • register zoom.jpg
    register zoom.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Harry Heaton Hill berlin Olympic Summary.jpg
    Harry Heaton Hill berlin Olympic Summary.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 1,124
  • harry-hill-local-news.jpg
    harry-hill-local-news.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Harry Hill photo.jpg
    Harry Hill photo.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,124
So impressed with the research you have done on this bike excellent work, looking forward to its progress.

Re:

Brilliant, I am 100% sure that's the Gillott. That is certainly a Gillott headbadge. PM me your address on FB and I'll sort it out. I've been working on Val Baxendine's '55 Gillott. She finished second to Beryl Burton on several occasions. I agree, its great to know the history of a bike.

Very interesting thread. A friend of mine has Harry Hill's last time trial bike (A Harry Hall?) fitted with a monster (for its day) chainring. HH was racing in TT's well into his later years and doing very well in veterans events where the riders' ages are taken into consideration for the result.

I like the Cyclo catalogue posted earlier. Very interesting to see that even in 1949, by using the BW rear hub, it was possible to get a 12 up straight through 5 speed 'block'. I thought the 12 sprocket only appeared in the 80's!

If anyone is interested, here is a cutaway view of the BW hub. With a set of sprockets and a couple of chain whips it seems possible to fit a large range of gearing to suit whatever terrain was in the offing. Years before Shimano 'invented' the idea! And 3 sets of bearings to offset the stresses of an 'outboard' block.

I've posted it before elsewhere but it seems relevant again.

Attachments

• ComCycBWUnitHub.A.jpg
    ComCycBWUnitHub.A.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,092
Re:

A picture of Harry Hill on his Harry Hall in 1972. That would make Harry Hill 59/60 years of age when the photo was taken. Perhaps it is the bike your friend has?

The Gillott I have (doesn't feel appropriate calling it, "my bike") used to have a 56 tooth ring on the front. That has gone now, unfortunately. As you mentioned, the front ring on the Harry Hall bike is not small.

Attachments

• Harry Hill - Harry Hall.jpg
    Harry Hill - Harry Hall.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,083
Cool bike and cool story to it. I'd restore (within reason) the bike if it were mine, and then put many years and miles on it. :)

Back