Harry Hill's 1954 AS Gillott (Ron Cooper Frame)

Re: 1954 AS Gillott Frame?

The campag downtube shifters have the logo in raised metal and not stamped.....gets my vote (plus all the other bits ) :)

Re:

Hello again gents...

Jamiedyer":1fn71x0k said:
Welcome aboard :)
Looks a nice made machine and I am sure it will slowly reveal it's history once those more knowledgeable on the marque get here :)
I take it that it rides nicely as you seem happy with it.
You can also start a thread about the machine in the 'Readers road bike' section and then add to it as you go along.
Look forward to hearing more about it anyway.

Jamie

I really enjoy the ride Jamie... It took a little bit of getting used to especially the steering stability, stable at speed but awkward in the turns and at low speed. I had a very agile frame as a schoolboy racer and this is the opposite from what I remember from 30 years ago when I raced as a schoolboy. And, last rode a bike. Yup shame on me.

There's a deeper pleasure in riding a machine that has been handcrafted. Difficult to put into words It just feels, "right". A more personal experience versus the modern bicycles that, whilst engineering and technological masterpieces, seem to lack soul.

I'll keep you up to date. I'll drop Mark a message on Facebook later today and I've discovered "Gerry Shields" is still trading in Manchester after all of these years. I've dropped his son, Chris Shields an e-mail to see if he has any details on the original owner of the bike.

:)

Sand_Dune

Re: Re:

rogerzilla":mnf5z1l3 said:
If there's a centre punch mark on the BB shell between the chainstays, Ron Cooper built it.

Hi Roger,

Had a look at the BB shell and did some light sanding to see what I could find over and above already posted...

There is a centre punch mark where you advised (arrowed). In addition there are some strange markings above it (circled).

It took a set of Jeweler's magnifying glasses and some emery paper to be absolutely sure of the centre punch. Didn't see it at first until after I had started rubbing...It's definitely a Centre-Punch mark.

The strange markings above look like some form of numbering stamps? 1-3-2-1. Man made, for sure.

Attachments

• BBracket wide view.jpg
    BBracket wide view.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 918
  • CentrePunch.jpg
    CentrePunch.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 918
  • 1321.jpg
    1321.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 918
Re:

Hi Mark,

Here are the images of the mysterious Cable Stops...on the top tube and the seat tube:

1. Cable stop on Seat Tube:

2. Cable stops on front and rear of the Top tube.

Looking forward to seeing what the records say.

Best regards

Sand Dune

Attachments

• Top Tube Front.jpg
    Top Tube Front.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 895
  • Cable Stops Rear Top Tube.jpg
    Cable Stops Rear Top Tube.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 895
  • Cable stop on Seat Tube.jpg
    Cable stop on Seat Tube.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 895
Re:

It is indeed a 1954 Gillott. The lugs are Spear pattern and unique to this model. I have a similar one made in 1952.

Didn't know about the centre punch dot for Cooper built frames, but it doesn't really matter who built it, as all Gillotts of that era are superbly built. Boss Harry Carrington wouldn't allow anything out the door that wasn't top quality.

Re:

Extra cable stop, not SA, it is on the seat tube. This would be Cyclo front changer, probably with Cyclo handlebar control, throuigh additional stops under the top tube.
The rear brake cable is in the wrong cable stops.

Keith

Re: 54 Gillott

Keith is right re the cable stops. I think a Simplex or Huret helically operated mech might be more likely. I've asked Sand Dune for pics of the rear dropouts to see if there is a Simplex hanger still there. So many got cut off though. The frame is a genuine Ron Cooper built Gillott. It had the boss cut off its Simplex/ Huret/Cyclo gear control and may have lost its pump pegs too. Only a scrape at the paint on the likely spots will tell.
My moniker Foxfan refers to my old Muddy Fox. I might change it to GillottFan. I'm Mark Stevens VCC ME for Gillott.

Re: 1954 AS Gillott Frame?

Hi Mark,
My memories will soon be lost, I actually used Cyclo H/B controls in 1950/51, and the front changer cable went round a Sturmey Archer pulley below the seat lug on my Les Vince (which also had Osgear ends), I have a picture somewhere.

Keith

Back