Campag Super Record 'Custom Pro Team' derailleur??

Re:

It certainly looks SR derived to me, but the finish suggests a factory job from the Valentino period; it seems an awful lot of work for an enthusiast to go to for a part which has clearly been used rather than just displayed ? ..also, those 'substitute' SR alum' bolts weren't readily available...
FWIW, the position of the parallelogram spring and associated hanger bolt 'knuckle' casting (without lug for spring-bolt) date it as '84 or later.

Little Al is apparently familiar with these and his explanation sounds totally feasible. In the absence of any contrary info' I see no reason to disagree.

Re:

I suspect it's a bitsa. It is telling that, of the five photos, there is not one view which allows us to see the 'top' of the derailleur, which would reveal whether the pivot housings are machined to the NR/SR standard.. so imo this is something like a Nuovo Gransport- or indeed possibly a 'late' Nuovo Record- with a replaced/remodelled outer parallelogram plate, attached to a Super Record pulley cage. If we can be convinced that it was put together in the Campagnolo factory, it is a 'rare variant'. If not, it is an assemblage of cannibalised parts, which doesn't necessarily imply functional inferiority.

I reckon its as already mentioned, a 50th anniversary 'blank' - un pantographed with just 'normal' bolts and logo

Campagnolo-50th-Anniversary-rear-Derailleur-1.jpg

$_57.JPG

Re:

That's my thinking too - which would mean it's a factory job, right?
The Ti hanger bolt and 'rare' alum replacement-bolt for the 50th's gold jobbie fits in with this also

They are practically identical. I'll stick with my original theory too - that they were finished in the 'modern' era satin annodising of the later c-record type stuff.

Re:

Yep, it's at least from '84 and has the higher quality satin finish introduced after Tullio died.
I have a late '84 Nuovo Record with this more refined finish. (it was an oddball factory issue, complete with Ti bolts)

Re:

Well... it seems that at some point Campagnolo re-engineered what was already the '2nd generation' Super Record pulley cage to accept a new style of pulley bolt with a slotted head inserted from spoke-side and domed nut on the outside. I would imagine that these bolts/nuts are incompatible with the earlier pulley cages, and that the earlier bolts, inserted from the outside, are incompatible with these later pulley cages.

This later pulley cage seems to be evident on the 50th anniversary model (1983), so riddle me this: Why does this manifestly post '84 mech., with no central parallelogram spring knuckle, have the old style pulley cage/bolts?|

Re:

Good point, yes the rear cage of later mech's is countersunk to accept the recessed pulley bolt head (so they are incompatible)

Another thing is that on the last SR mech's, the body was attached by the bolt screwing directly into the threaded cage (cheaper to manufacture) - however this uses the earlier, inserted-hex-nut method.

Whether factory assembled or not, it's definitely a bit of a bitsa! :)

Back