Indexed Shifter Won't Index!

Markone

Retro Guru
I cannot get a 7 speed shimano Exage derailleur to sync with the 7 speed indexed exage shifter,the shifter seems to pull too much cable,so at the moment I'm just using it on its friction setting and like this it operates very smoothly!

The Shifter, although correct for the groupset is not original to the bike it's an NOS replacement.

Is the answer to just buy 7 speed indexed shifters until one works?

If anyone has ever solved a similar problem I'd like to hear your advice,please.

pics please!

They should index fine - just about every Shimano rear road/ mtb mech (except some DA models) from around 1987 to the end of the 9spd era sits quite happy with 7/8/9, even 5spd indexed.

Just make sure you have the cable clamped at the right place on the mech

* tried to find you a diagram but cant seem to find one yet

If the Eage rear mech has that 'pre-shift' bit where the clamp moves before the mech, that may be the reason - it could be all gummed up. Try a 105 or 600 mech instead as these dont have that part.

s-l300.jpg

*heres one without the 'extra' shifty shifting bit

Vintage-Rear-derailleur-Shimano-Exage-400-EX-RD-A400-6-7-speed.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help and the pics.I've had a much closer inspection of the rear mech this morning and have discovered very faintly lettering on it spelling out VELOCE! It's not Shimano Exage,then,but Campagnolo!

Is this the cause of the problem a mismatched mech and shifter,the shifters are definitely Shimano Exage Sport shifters?

Yes, the campagnolo mech requires different cable pull. Cheaper to replace the mech with shimano as indexed campagnolo shifters can be expensive.

Back