Raleigh Quadra or Scirocco?

spartacus 68

Retro Newbie
Stumbled across this forum, but glad I have looks great! :D

I've got a Raleigh Quadra that I've had (I'm assuming since the mid 80s). It's still in use. Cycling a 100 mile charity road route tomorrow.

Back to the bike. The reason for my question and whether I have a one-off. I'm sure I bought a Scirocco, Reynolds 531 tubing, which came in the multi colour tube set. I lent it to a friend as I had another lightweight Harry Quinn bike. Now this guy was no lightweight. He wasn't overweight, but at 6' tall and a black belt in judo he was built like a **** brick house.

Some weeks later I noticed the top tube lug at the headset had a hairline crack where the lug had opened up. I think at the time Raleigh either had a 25 year warranty on the frame so I claimed for a new frame.

When the bike came back it was badged as a Quadra, but from memory was in Scirroco paintwork?

Can anyone set the record straight as to what it actually is? It's 7-speed, Shimano Exage index gears, brakes, etc. Wheels were long since changed, but everything else is original.

Any help would be welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 968
Re:

Sirroco was 501 tubing from memory and I wouldn't be surprised if the frame was swapped out instead of repaired

Re:

Thanks for the replies. More pictures for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 946
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 946
Sirroco was 501 butted cro-mo which is not bad tubing

did it look like this?

sirocco_667.jpg

Re:

Early one's were all red and 501 main tubes only...I'm old enough without referring to a brochure ! Red and white livery is later.

Rk.

You should have looked at the catalog - the red ones were the same as above: 'Double butted Frame tubes' - 501 cro-mo.

8670418134_07ebe31a39_h.jpg

Sooooo, you have a Quadra frame badged as a Sirroco which made for a nice replacement and upgrade - depending on the quality of the '531' used which could have been plain gauge to double butted super lightweight trouser wowser club sport

Re:

Found another link. Apparently in this paintwork it could have been a Corsa but is badged now as Quadra?
viewtopic.php?t=115947

I'm sure it had a white saddle which made me think it was Scirroco.

Still rides like a dream. Got a few odd glances at the charity run this time last year with folk with their titanium or carbon frames and I'm riding something circa 1989! Anyway looking forward to tomorrow.

Looks like a hybrid of the two, I had a new Sirocco (then stolen) and replaced with a new Quadra back in the day. Sirocco was deffo 501 like the red and white frame posted above. Quadra was 531 but different paint to yours - pitched as a triathlon style bike - I have the brochure somewhere I can dig out...

Back