Help please! Derailleur shares drop out 1980's Raleigh

Sparrow

Devout Dirtbag
I have recently put together a skip-find Raleigh Routier.. All pretty good so far. But. The derailleur hanger "shares" the rear drop-out, this seems not to allow enough room for the wheel to sit properly and securely in, and so when I apply pressure on the pedals, the wheel shifts to rub against the frame... This does not seem right or safe.. any tips please? Would there have been a "blocking spacer" type thingy on the non-drive side to stop this?

It should be alright, so long as the quick release levers are tight enough. I used to have the same problem. Make sure they're as tight as you can open, if that makes sense. (whether this is any good for the long term health of the skewer and cam I don't know, but I've been doing it for a few years and it hasn't gone drastically wrong yet)

Re:

Hmm.... Thanks, but I don't think this is right! The non-drive side is only just in the jaws of the drop out, with a big gap behind.. And having a QR done up super-tight kind of defeats the object of having one?

No, the point of the QR is to hold the wheel in place. As long as there is enough axle in the dropout, the qr compresses the frame into the wheel axle, usually onto a knurled bolt. The knurled bit stops the axle form floating around. The end of the qr is usually knurled too so gripping the rear mech and frame together. As little as 3mm of axle protruding into the dropout can allow enough grip. What buggers it all up is if too much axle protrudes and the qr grips the axle and not the dropout, as little 0.5mm of axle can allow it all to 'feel' tight but slide all over the place.

Most derailleurs and hangers also have some method of adding grip for either the bolt or qr axle to clamp on

100pcs-lot-For-Shimano-rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-convertor-adapter-for-Sram-Derailleur-Hanger-drop.jpg

The wheel is OK at the front of the dropouts :). BITD we had the wheel just hanging on the very last few mm of the dropouts to shorten the wheelbase....made the bike much faster lol

If the frame has plate /not forged dropouts & QR hubs make sure the axle is not protruding to far beyond the lock nuts so the QR's lock on the dropouts & not the axle ends

Back