Weinmann 730/500 brakes on Raleigh Stratos - how to release?

BigglesZX

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

First post so please be gentle. I just picked up a fairly tired Raleigh Stratos (1983?) as I wanted to try my hand at a little restoration. The first head-scratching topic is the brakes.

The models in question are the Weinmann Type 500 (link) up front and 730 (link) at the rear. They appear pretty much exactly the same as the photos on VeloBase.

My question is: how do I release these to drop out the wheels, other than undoing the cable in the clamp? I've seen some versions of these models that seem to have a quick-release cam, but mine don't. Is it possible to acquire the cam assembly and add it to these? Or is there another method of releasing, other than un-clamping the cable? I did wonder if perhaps the pads should naturally sit wide enough to drop the wheel out between them, but I'm not sure if this is right, even if it were achievable.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

James

Re:

Hi James

Welcome :D

What you are saying about the wheels coming out naturally without moving the brakes is usually possible, if the tyres are deflated.....

You can retro fit some QR units on these brakes but they can be hard to find....

Check your brake levers some of those incorporate a QR mechanism. Such as the ones pictured, the small 'lip' just on top of the lever below the hood, just flip it up :D http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=285

Mark :D

Screw the cable adjuster screw right down?

Weinmann did offer the QR mechanism as a spare retro-fit part - but now rather rare to find.

Take the brake blocks off one side...

Weinmann 500s and 730s didn't have a QR mechanism, although as has been said it could be retro-fitted.

Thanks all! The levers don't have a QR mechanism, and the adjuster screw doesn't offer enough movement, so it's pads off or tyres deflated for me. Thanks again for all your replies.

J

Latest posts

Back