Get my old bike back on the road.

bean0066

Retro Newbie
Hi All :D

Ok I have a 1970’s Viscount Tulsa GL, 10 speed. The gold one or it was.

Bought with my own money when I was a teenager in about 1976/77 (ish) and did some day touring and some of nights away with it.

So yes it’s not the best frame about and I’d prefer it was an Aerospce but I have a sentimental attachment to it and want to get it mobile again.

But maybe with some modern components as I have them or new old spec if that’s more cost effective, as some of the old stuff is US.

So I’d prefer a modern STI setup as that’s what I’m used to as its on my other road and CX bikes and I have a 2009 Sora groupset spare but will it work with my old derailleurs and freewheel?

Wheels? I’ve a modern set in the frame but the old brakes won’t reach the rims, too far, so can I get some nice 27 ¼ wheels or rims (current rims steel and rusty)? Or anyone know about long long reach brakes so I can use the 700c’s I have sitting about. Also if I rebuild the old wheels using new rims the old hub bearings appear US but I assume I can find some bearing (sealed type) somewhere, can I get freewheels, spokes and tyres to fit.

What chain should I use that would work with the 5 speed chain set and a more modern cassette, although probably max 6 or 7 speed as no space (width) for a 9 or 10 speed.

So any help or advice would be welcome, point me in the direction of any useful websites and retro part retailers, although I already know the Sheldon Brown one. But I do need to do any work myself and try to keep the budget as low as possible as I’m not really allowed yet another bike.

Cheers

Bean

Re:

Ok, so if you want to update the shifting system on that bike to 8 speed Shimano Sora you will need to upgrade the wheelset to something that can handle the 8 speed gear cluster - so at least a 130mm wide rear hub. You're probably running 126mm wide currently. You can do that without adjusting the frame, but if you want to make that permanent many riders get the rear stays of the frame professionally cold set to the wider standard. The mechs tend to be pretty simple and I think would work with the Sora shifters - I've run mid 80's Shimano 600 with STI brifters ok.

You can purchase modern hubs on 27 inch rims - try Velomine - which will reduce your need to replace the brakes. That being said I'm not a huge fan of the performance of cheaper vintage brakes and an upgrade to dual pivot might be worth while if you're going to STI brifters. Tektro make their dual pivot side pulls in nutted varieties for various reaches. the other advantage of them is that that open wide which allows for easier use of fatter tires (if supported by the clearance on your wheels). The other option is to get some modern 700c wheels and get some of the long reach Tektro side pulls in the nutted hardware. Before you do that though I would check your measurements to make sure that would work.

Re:

Hi dirttorpedo and all

Thanks for the reply and it has some useful info but as i'm in the Midlands in the UK i think Velomine will be abit out of the way. Lol.

So if anyone can recommend a retailer of old spec stuff, ideally in the midlands so i can pop in to a retro LBS for a chat (or not so local) or a good web based outfit i'd be grateful.

Can anyone give me some advice on cold resetting of the frame and forks. I think the rear is 120mm as it was a 5 speed freewheel, so 130 might be a push for bending myself. Trouble is i had the frame powder coated not to long back so it looks noice so i don't want to ruin it by bending bits myself.

Cheers

Bean

Also standard question, anyone got or know a 2007 Orange Clockwork bike or frame. Has to be the disc specific steel frame as i want one.

Big Block

Excellent video, i can do that.

Also this guy has loads of video's explaining most of the things i need to do so absolutly great

Cheers

Bean

I used the threaded rod technique a few weeks ago.
Seeing it being done makes it easier than just reading about it.

This project will be expensive, and a lot of work imo, even if you can do the work yourself. It's possible to do of course, but is it worth it? Personally I'd just clean the bike up and get it functional, but up to you of course, OP.

Hi Jumphigher

The question is what do you mean by expensive?

I'm not looking for authentic originality, just to get the bike i had in my teens up and usable with some modern bits on it.

The modern bits by the way i already have most of, bar long reach brakes for 700c's.

Cheers

Keith

Back