LAM brakes France . rear caliper fitting problem.Please help

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Bought a nice complete pair with levers to go on my Saxon tt . Now on looking at them with a view to fitting them,I notice the rear brake has a clamp on which would appear to slide onto the rear brake bridge from the top, with a bolt from underneath which would then lock it in place.
Problem is there is a built in flange on the bridge which stops it from seating. :facepalm:
Also the locking bolt would seem to fit through the bottom of the bridge, rather than the back, as a standard brake.

My question is,has anyone here come across the same problem, and if so, other than drilling the bridge,how did you get round it ?

Can I replace the main bolt, which holds the whole caliper together? ie parts from old gb.

Answers on a post card please ...ok here is fine.

If memory serves the French brakes sit on top of a straight round brake bridge with a vertical hole in it..... If the Saxon frame is a normal frame with a horizontal hole through the bridge then I think the way forward would be to get a GB / Weinmann brake bolt and hang your French callipers into that ?

Re:

Hi Shaun

Thats what I thought as well . Weinmann are the wrong diameter bolt making for a sloppy fit .
A old mafac side pull bolt is the best fit so far . I just have to file the grove on the spring retainer nut, as the spring is quite heffty/ thicker compaired to the mafac one. So nearly there .
Thank you for your input .

The levers are an interesting item, the clip that goes round the handle bar is part of main lever body and not seperate . Only seen this once before on a pair of burlite i had a while back.

All making for quailty shed time .

Re:

Parts used from a Mafac side pull, after a bit of filing all fitted .

Thanks to all, for your ideas .

Back