Pre War head set assembly question . something missing?

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
In the process of rebuilding a pre war F W Evans . I stripped the bike down about 8 years ago and I now cannot remember how to refit the clip type head set. :facepalm:
I have two bearing racers a clip and a top nut . Should I have a fork crown ring or does one of the two races i have sit on top of the forks with the bearing running in a bearing cage.
I tied all the bits together on removal but as i remember it the bearging were loose and not in a cage .

Update ; :idea: Following another rumage in shed I found the crown race in with the sleeve type/threadless b/b parts for the Evans..nothing new in cycling.
all now assembled and running smooth.

Note to self ...must improve filing system when stripping down old machines.

This may be of help....

P1148751_zpsrzxwezel.jpg

I have the lock ring sitting above.

bagpuss":mqafywkz said:
Update ; :idea: Following another rumage in shed I found the crown race in with the sleeve type/threadless b/b parts for the Evans..nothing new in cycling.
Is it one of these?

Attachments

• ComCycBB.2.jpg
    ComCycBB.2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 800
Re:

Mike . Your Sun is really nice. Is the paint work original ?
Do you know what year is it ? Lets see some more pictures please .

Old Ned .
It looks like the Bayliss Wiley one. The fixed cup side just pushed into the shell . What holds it in place? other than the left hand adjuster cup?
Another of my bikes also has a similar shell with a bolt that goes through the bottom of the b/b shell and just into the sleeve there by holding it in place . This one does not appear to have one . I will flip the bike up side down and have another look.

Said build is coming along really well . Rear wheel to be rebuilt with an Airlite large flange hub in order to fit a deraillier which will be a cyclo or a Simplex one of the period.Going for a 8 speed set up by using a Gnutti or Durax close ratio chain set with a 4 speed freewheel. Simplex down tube levers for shifting .

Handle bars have proved more of a problem to find . I do not like fitting 50/60 year old alloy bars . I have bought a new pair of raised north road for under a tenner . The did not look to bad when i offered them up the bike in their up side down position.
Brakes are Sun branded side pull .

Quality shed time :LOL:

That looks positively normal. Check out the Thompson bottom bracket if you want to see an oddball setup!

Re: Re:

bagpuss said:
Mike . Your Sun is really nice. Is the paint work original ?
Do you know what year is it ? Lets see some more pictures please .
/quote]

The paintwork is all original, too good to respray. Original decals and box lining. Dates from 1951, its a Sun Super Vitesse. Ive built it up though with a few more 'model' parts to make a useable little classic. 26 x 1-3/8" wheels.

Re:

Mike.
Cracking machine . What size is it?

Paul.

Head set now sorted and forks installed . Bottom bracket also fitted.
Thanks to all for your input.

Frame is about 22", with 26" wheels. Great, comfortable ride thanks to a nicely broken in B17 and Delta Cruiser tyres...

Back