Integrated shifters or downtube shifters.

I actually prefer the campagnolo style shift of some shimano 8spd over the twin lever of some ten speed.

I think my favourite will always be bar-end shifting.

2x sti bikes, one bar-end, 2x dt indexed and 2x friction dt. The friction shifting is the worst and most distracting.

Sti for mindless Road ride training...

Re:

widowmaker":2eg8de1w said:
mattr":2eg8de1w said:
Most decent Sti shifters have trim functionality on the front. Only time i have indexing "issues" is when going big/big (But that's due to chain/mech geo, DT won't fix that) or small/small, DT won't fix that either.

widowmaker":2eg8de1w said:
I just seem to find myself changing gears far more with the integrated shifters and seem slower and not able to get into a rhythm especially climbing hills - almost having the ability to change more gears makes me spoilt for choice (even though they have the same amount).
Think that's just you.......

It may be just me, but thats important :)

I suspect it is not just you. Really it is just like channel-hopping the TV with a remote control. "there must be a better programme (gear) than this". Who ever heard of channel-hopping before the advent of remote controls? Once you have a remote control, the impulse is irresistible..

Re:

They certainly encourage different riding styles.

Downtube shifters make you plan gears more carefully which I believe leads to you understand what's needed more as the consequence of picking the wrong one can be alot of lost momentum on a hill or losing a sprint.

STIs etc you can be more reactive. It also encourages overchanging (rattling down to the bottom gear instead of just giving a few honks in a big gear to get over a hill)

It depends really on where you're riding. I wouldn't want to commute on DT shifters in heavy traffic just in case I need to do an emergency stop right when I'm changing. And on steep hills they could be a right pain.

Generally though I like how tactile changing with DT shifters is

Re:

I never had an issue with DT shifters except for the difficulty of making a double front and rear shift. They're somewhat more logical than STI, at least to my brain. I like them (and I do have a carbon bike with STI too).

I don't think you're mad - if you prefer downtube then go with them. I think there is an advantage to having your bikes set up as similar as possible to make switching between bikes smoother. I find going from my vintage DT friction shifters, to my barcons to my STI difficult until I've spent a bit of time riding the bike.

I believe that with STI the shift pull changed with 10 speed. The nice thing about 9 speed STI is that it works with both road and mountain mechs. This is why you are seeing a resurgence of barcons on touring/adventure bikes now because they need to use mountain bike rear mechs.

Re:

My first road bikes had DT shifters right up to a Chorus 8-speed set-up in 1994. Don't for one minute think that DT levers will slow you down or make you an inferior bike rider. I actually prefer DT shifters when climbing and sat back as the reach to the levers seems easier than leaning forward and trying to flick an STI or Ergo up a gear. On the drops changing is easier too. My Chorus 8-speed set-up was 'improved' with a set of Athena ergos. Actually my first thoughts were that the levers were heavy and uncomfortable! I got used to them and eventually moved on to STI which I still have on another bike.

DT lever pros:
Very Lightweight with no cable 'clutter'
A very positive gear change due minimal cables
Front end of bike feels lighter
Better for changing gear when sat down climbing
You can see which gear you are in just by looking at the position of the lever
Able to swing chain across the block in a single move of the lever!
Bike looks better!

and cons:
Worse for changing gear, at speed down bumpy hills
Have to be sat down to change gear

Must confess that I also ride a fixed wheel bike so riding a geared bike equipped with DT levers is no big deal really :D

Re:

One consequence of STI is that the pros now rarely use the drops at all because it's so hard to change gear from there. Instead, they slam the stem down and ride on the hoods all the time. Just another thing that makes modern racing so visually unappealing, along with helmets, shades and carbon compact frames.

Re: Re:

rogerzilla":6h2fqh3l said:
One consequence of STI is that the pros now rarely use the drops at all because it's so hard to change gear from there. Instead, they slam the stem down and ride on the hoods all the time. Just another thing that makes modern racing so visually unappealing, along with helmets, shades and carbon compact frames.

I hadn't noticed that - good point. Maybe that is why these levers are so physically big now if the riders keep on the tops all day?! I don't think any current riders have the excellent flat-back, on the drops, riding style of say Hinault / LeMond / Fignon or Museuuw.

Back