Lauterwasser handle bars,but which type of brake levers.

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
To the font of knowledge lurking here .
Refitting my Saxon twin tube,which I have owned for about 10 year or so.
More period components including a pair of Lauterwasser bars now adorn said bike.
The only pictures I have found are of Soma fabrications reproduction ones fitted with modern levers.
My question is what type of levers are suitable given the shape of the bars.I am using basic side pull steel calipers at the moment.
Whilst trying to keep the machine as period as possible,but without going over the top price wise. Any ideas,thoughts are welcome.

I remember these from my shop days, vague recollections as to where the levers should go. People put them towards the end which was flat so use flat bar levers, some put them more towards the middle on the curve so used levers for dropped bars....... Curse you Bygone Bykes lol

Re:

I would have thought the Saxon would have comparitively steep angles.
Lauterwasser bars were used for forward reach on the 30s fashionable shallow angled small frames that were popular for club and time trial riders.

Confirm this by looking at catalogues from the mid 30's.

For exanple by 1938 Claud Butler was offering mainly steeper angles, but still had a few shallow angled frames.

Keith

Re:

Found this previos thread .
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=311351&start=10

So I am now looking for a pair of highgate or Bailey type bars .
I have a well use pair of B8 Brampton pedals which are imho close enough the a pair of Constrictor Boa.
I am fitting 3 speed S/A with two sprockets and a Benilux two speed rear mech . Rims are Dunlop alloy 26x 1 x1 1/4 . front hub is a Bayliss Wiley large flange . I have a Williams C1000 c/s fitted .

Hanging down worked best for me, like this on my old bike:

IMG_0915.jpg

I think the skinny curved steel 30s/40s levers look best on proper Lauterwasser bars.

Re:

Some interesting thoughts so far .
This is the bike as purchased back in 2006 .
Saxon Twin Tube 1937/8 by rebalrid, on Flickr
As already said so far I have changed the wheels, bars and stem to more period / usable components . Also a pair of steel brake calipers are now fitted . Not much else to do . I will add a more recent photo soon.

After reading about the specifications for the range,a rumage in the shed followed and I found a nice clean pair of Durax fluted steel cranks which are close enough to the Duprat ones which were fitted to the top model
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -comp.html

All I need is a pair of Gloria brakes ;)
....any one .....

Back