Integrated shifters or downtube shifters.

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I think this will open a can of worms but I have been thinking (again ;) )

I have a Chas Roberts with integrated shifters/brakes and another steel framed 531 with downtube shifters both with similar gearing and weight etc.

I just seem to find myself changing gears far more with the integrated shifters and seem slower and not able to get into a rhythm especially climbing hills - almost having the ability to change more gears makes me spoilt for choice (even though they have the same amount). I know they have the benefit of not taking your hands of the bars to change though.

And having a front derailleur indexing issue on a recent ride where there was the horrid scraping of the chain against the derailleur made me hanker for some downtube shifters on the Roberts where a slight adjustment would have solved this.

Am I mad :mrgreen:

No, these overly complex mechanisms are in my own view a waste of time, unless you are some sort of pro...

To be able to micro adjust a normal downtube shifter is great, they are simple to service and reparable cables. I would never dream of using this modern stuff.

Just my own very personal view of course.

Just be very aware that with STI the front shifting differs between model years. You cant mix & match very well as the front mechs have different reach and the STI have different cable pull.

In the worst case, each 'shift' on the STI moves the mech further than needed.

I believe that the older pre 10spd are ok, I have 8spd Sora STI with a 9spd Ultegra front mec - that works flawlessly but it really is a case of fit first, faff and swap if it doesnt.

Unfortunately I never look at the model numbers, just the shape. If you are using the Tourney STI then look at older generation 8 & 9spd front mechs.

Of course downtube or bar-end shifters preclude all this!

*just remember to use a narrower chain if going 9spd mechs as 8spd chains tend to clatter a bit. 9psd chains work very well with 6/7/8spd cassettes.

I'm with Spokesman on this, at my age I have no interest in shaving microseconds from my times, just getting home will do :) I also find the sti brake hoods fugly. If you want the handlebar control with downtube lever type flexibility try Suntour command shifters that fit along side your normal brake levers, they can be index or friction.

I've come back to using DT shifters a few times recently. There's nothing I like about it. Nothing at all.

Most decent Sti shifters have trim functionality on the front. Only time i have indexing "issues" is when going big/big (But that's due to chain/mech geo, DT won't fix that) or small/small, DT won't fix that either.

widowmaker":2m2r1r1f said:
I just seem to find myself changing gears far more with the integrated shifters and seem slower and not able to get into a rhythm especially climbing hills - almost having the ability to change more gears makes me spoilt for choice (even though they have the same amount).
Think that's just you.......

mattr":cdwws0qv said:
Most decent Sti shifters have trim functionality on the front. Only time i have indexing "issues" is when going big/big (But that's due to chain/mech geo, DT won't fix that) or small/small, DT won't fix that either.

widowmaker":cdwws0qv said:
I just seem to find myself changing gears far more with the integrated shifters and seem slower and not able to get into a rhythm especially climbing hills - almost having the ability to change more gears makes me spoilt for choice (even though they have the same amount).
Think that's just you.......

It may be just me, but thats important :)

Re:

I ride with index bar end shifter, integrated shifters, indexed downtube shifters and friction downtube shifters, obviously not all on the same bike. :facepalm:

I like friction downtube shifters the least.

Using DT shifters requires more planning I feel. When going through a dip with the integrated system you can change so much quicker on the incline rather than having to lose momentum with the DT shifters, but I guess we all ride differently.

Re:

My OP wasn't an integrated shifters bashing, I just noticed that riding with them I was shifting more gears than before and not able to get into a rhythm.

One bike has them, one doesn't :cool:

Whatever I ride, I am still slow :oops:

Back