Mystery Lightweight Frame Find Today 50s??,Anyone Help

Here are some photos of the stripped frame
A bit of work still to be done to clean it all
Then wet or dry treatment
A friend of mine is a motor vehicle sprayer,he says it will take laquer on the steel
But would have to add etched primer for the painted bits.

Attachments

• Unknown 50s frameset 007.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 007.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 651
  • Unknown 50s frameset 003.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 003.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 651
  • Unknown 50s frameset 004.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 004.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 651
  • Unknown 50s frameset 002.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 002.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 651
Some more photos

Attachments

• Unknown 50s frameset 008.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 008.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 651
  • Unknown 50s frameset 005.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 005.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 651
  • Unknown 50s frameset 001.jpg
    Unknown 50s frameset 001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 651
If it were my frame and I wanted to keep the bare metal look I would have it soda blasted then primed and lacquered

Don't get it sand blasted as that is too course

I don't quite follow what you mean by priming and then laquer.
I thought primer came in different colours????
I would love to get the bare metal look polished and clear lacquered.
Sorry for being a pain.
Malc
PS what's astonishing is the weight is so light

You can not lacquer on top of bare metal the lacquer won't bond to the tubes, you need to use some sort of primer. If you have a local car paint shop go in and speak with them and they will be able to advise what products are available in your area.

Try this link for details

Re:

This frame has to be about mid 50s. If the numbers you refer to are under the bottom bracket they are Nervex identity, not frame.
I nearly made a comment about the forks being later, but reread the thread, and had forgotten about the Pennine CO2 pump braze on.

Keith

cipolinni":37h9lbuc said:
I would love to get the bare metal look polished and clear lacquered.

I'm working on a "raw steel" bike too, a rod braked roadster :oops:

Have a Google there's a fair bit of info out there. LFGSS has some good stuff. Most of it points in the direction that it WILL rust. Whatever people say and however good those freshly powdercoated bike photos look.

The lacquer finishes chip and don't have UV protection. Powder coat lifts and tears. Both are then a job to get off again. It's a personal decision, based on how you plan on maintaining it?

I'm all set to give it a rub down with Gibbs, and then give it a few coats of boiled lineseed oil.

The idea is that when the rust gets excessive, I can easily rub down with some wire wool and methylated spirit. Should allow me to touch up any partial areas, without stripping the whole thing down. The oil should dry hard, but it will still rust/"marble" a little underneath.

Re:

Rear ends being pressed would tend to suggest earlier, as forged ends almost replaced them by 1960.

I have a Ephgrave frame from I believe "1951" that has identical rear pressed ends and I mean "identical" could have been twins separated at birth ;) not sure if that helps much with dating but thought it worth throwing into the pot ;)

Mick

Re:

For what it's worth, Jack Taylor's had their serial numbers on LH rear dropouts, but number 290 would maybe be too early? Possibly pre-war even?

Latest posts

Back