Eroica Limburg 2017: Anyone going?

DSH

Retro Guru
I will be doing the 100km route on my PY10: will anyone else be enjoying a fun, if probably wet day out in Limburg?

Not this year but next year will be on the Limburge followed by the classic Le Mans 24 hr car race. Strangely enough the Dutch sailor berthed next to us has knowledge of limburg and says the hill there is the training route for riders going to mont vonteux, enjoy the ride and would welcome a report, David.

Well that was fun, damp but fun.

Let's start with the stuff the organisers can control: I did the 100km route and it had a bit of everything from a cemetery (US military) to a cement works via the Cauberg, plus lots of quiet country lanes, and farm tracks. There was only one section on a busy road and that did feel a bit exposed but was only for about a mile. Signage was almost perfect, only twice did I have to check the route on my map. Catering ranged from the fantastic, asparagus omelettes and black pudding at the second feed station to the more ad hoc, a very nice lady turning out pancakes on a camping stove and when the batter ran out they handed out syrup waffles.

Outside their control was the weather. It could have been worse it did not hammer down all day but it was wet, and had been wetter, as a result some of the off road sections were a bit slippery: one descent saw me lock up the back wheel MTB style and slide down steering as I went. However, There were very few people getting off and walking, unlike last year. The weather also dampened down the entertainments. I was driving home and did not intend hanging around, but the festival area was fairly empty in the rain.

There were a lot of people over from the UK on the ride, I would guess that after the Dutch and possibly the Belgians the U.K. Contingent was the next biggest and there was plenty of chat as groups formed and split again.

One last point. This is a tough ride on the bikes, notably tyres and tubes. There is a lot of flint, the route even passes a strange folly called the flint museum, and punctures were frequent, some riders suffered three or four. The technical support fell a bit short in this respect with inner tubes available but no tubs. I fitted slime inner tubes and had no problems, but would advise anyone to work out how many tubes/tubs you think your need...then double it.

Hi,

Well done on completing the ride, you didn't mention the climbs some could assume that these were well within your capability.

Any pictures ?

CommanderChuff":1ss9i4um said:
Hi,

Well done on completing the ride, you didn't mention the climbs some could assume that these were well within your capability.

Any pictures ?

No pictures I am afraid. I forgot the pin of my little used smart phone and Had not recharged the camera!

The climbs were not too bad, with the proviso that I has dropped my gearing for the day. Total climbing was 833m and most of it short and sharp, which suits me as I can muscle my way up before my lungs give up. I went up the Cauberg, average 12% at the start of the ride on 42-24 and only towards the end when I was tired and on a slippery farm track did I resort to the 28 sprocket. I saw a few racing blocks 14-18 and the like, I certainly would not have managed on that.

Re:

Thanks for that, gives me confidence for my next ride on the world Eroica programme, I can look forward to short steep climbs, long drags are less pleasure, I am at South Africa, limburg and Tuscany next year, do say hello if you pass a bright orange Holdsworth and out of sorts old guy,

David.

This thread needs some pics.

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Re:

I fancy this next year. Although who routes a bike ride past the flint museum?

Back