Maillard freewheel decision

Falconista

Retro Newbie
Good morning,

My first post and looking for some advice from forum members

I have recently acquired a 1980s Falcon Laser (1986 I think) that needs some TLC. The frame is Reynolds 453 and in OK condition. However the steel rims are very rusty and I need to decide whether to spend ages with a wire brush and aluminium foil or go for new wheels.

Hub is 120mm Maillard with 5 speed (14-24) Maillard freewheel. Picture attached.

Question 1: What model of freewheel is that? I can't seem to match it with the Normandy, Atom etc.
Question 2: Why is there a thread on the inside? Was there a dust cap or similar before?
Question 3: How do I get it off? The standard Maillard two prong tool has the prongs somewhat inwards. This one has the slots tight up against the edge.
Question 4: The axle in the hub seems to be very slightly bent. Is this a problem for a fairly light rider? Can the bearings on Maillard hubs be serviced OK?
Question 5: Does the fact that the writing is English mean that the threads are British? Hoping so.

Any advice most welcome.

Attachments

• Maillard freewheel snip.JPG
    Maillard freewheel snip.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 817
I haven't nor can I find anything that looks like that one, suspect a part is missing from it. best remove and fit a new one, cheap enough and a faulty freewheel can have you over the bars and into hospital sooner than you think. The axle can be removed and carefully straightened or replaced, again only a few quid to buy new.

Thanks mdvineng. None of my local bike shops have the tool to remove the freewheel, so either I use as is (hard work to get the rust off, risky with the freewheel, and still would be steel rims), or I abandon and find some replacements. I can't seem to find anything with 120mm hubs so I am going to experiment with a spare 126mm hub and if it can be jammed in. I am a bit worried about cracking the paint if I cold set it wider.

Anybody know of any reasonable wheels with 120mm hubs and 5 or 6 speed freewheels around? Preferably aluminium rims.

Falconista":2wbc3org said:
Thanks mdvineng. None of my local bike shops have the tool to remove the freewheel, so either I use as is (hard work to get the rust off, risky with the freewheel, and still would be steel rims), or I abandon and find some replacements. I can't seem to find anything with 120mm hubs so I am going to experiment with a spare 126mm hub and if it can be jammed in. I am a bit worried about cracking the paint if I cold set it wider.

Anybody know of any reasonable wheels with 120mm hubs and 5 or 6 speed freewheels around? Preferably aluminium rims.

Ebay is your friend here. You can get a reasonble pair of 27" wheels for around £80 - Weinmann RM19 rims, Quando hubs, nothing fancy but good solid wheels, available in both solid and QR axles.

There used to be a large hexigon block IIRC 36mm or larger with 2 square lugs which fit in the cutouts on the freewheel again IIRC you will have to remove axle lock nut & spacers to let remover seat in the cut out also best to replace lock nut to ensure remover doesn't come out & damage cut outs in freewheel. Have a look on Hilary Stones site via Classic Lightweights he has some 2 lug FW removers for sale

Yeah it's a different type of tool for that freewheel. Notorious for chewing up those slots because they're so thin. Just a pre-warning! I had to weld mine solid so I could use a chain whip to free it off!

That looks odd, where's the screw in race for the freewheel bearings ?

It's not some helicomatic jobby is it?

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I don't think it is a helicomatic hub, but the chances of finding the correct tool seem slim here in Singapore. I can see that no one has tried in the past either as the notches are pristine.

For the moment I have ordered some new (to me) wheels with a 126mm hub and aluminium rims. In one move this multiplies the value (or cost) of the bike several times.

I will have another go at de-rusting the original steel wheel rims. So far the rust is laughing in the face of rust remover, aluminium foil and brass wire brush. However a stainless steel wire brush seems an effective way of removing the rust and any remaining chrome.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to prevent further rusting in a warm and humid climate?

Back