will an 11-32 8 speed fit with STX-RC ? + free up trim screw

pondweed

Old School Hero
I had an old 7 speed cassette running with this derailleur and a spacer, and figured that its an 8 speed index so should work...

I probably picked one with too wide a range, but it looks theoretically feasible. Can anyone tell me its definitely a no no, please? or vice versa?

I'm also having difficulties getting trimming screws operational again, after using WD40. Any other cunning solutions. If I can't widen the track of the derailleur, then may just have to leave the old one on.

btw, this is on the British Eagle... which is Touring, 54cm frame.

many thanks...

Re:

if your 7 speed was part of an indexed group and the indexing worked ok, then it wont index with 8.
7 is 5mm spacing between cogs
8 is 4.8mm spacing.

Altho by taking off the spacer, you may get the cassette to fit onto the freehub and run it in friction mode .... sayin that depends if its a uniglide or hyperglide freehub. If it's the former, you will have to file down the big tab on the cassette, but this is no big deal to the man with a file and a shed.

Pigman, thankyou. I think the STX is a more recent addition as its says 8-SIS on the side! More of the problem is that I cant get the adjusters working properly to widen the track to the largest cog. The new hyperglide one fits on fine and screws up, its just very wide ratio'd... and thus "big".

But I think the issue is more that hanger position of the derailleur. When its extended toward the largest cog, it may be that there isnt enough clearance on this type of frame, as opposed to a mountain bike where its hung slightly differently.

Re:

the mech should cope with the large 32 cog.

remember there are 2 spring pivot points - the first pivots the jockey cage to take up chain slack and the second is where it screws into the dropout to allow the mech to move away from the cogs. With a large cassette like this, once installed, screw the b-adjuster screw as far in as it will go to add clearance.
Google it if my explanation is poor

your biggest problem is the seized screws

Latest posts

Back