1.6mm non butted spokes?

balkanac

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Looking for these to finally finish 1950s project, is there online shop from which I can order 1.6 straight gauge spokes?

Re: 1.6 straight gauge spokes?

In the 50/60s we used 15/17 double butted for most wheels, occasionally 14/16 or plain 14.

14G is very close to 2mm, 15G nearest 1.8mm. You will not use anything lighter.
I remember once finding some prewar 16/18 G and building a wheel wlth them, which was probably OK for a front wheel with 32 spokes.

Keith

Thanks for info, I see that my topic title was not clear enough (changed).

Bike originally came with Campagnolo/FB Gran Sport hubs that had 1.6mm spokes, I have tryed to put 2mm but they didn t fit and since then few years have past...

Maybe someone laced 1950s gran sport hubs and can say what spokes I need

Re:

Original GS hubs were a tight fit for 15G rolled thread spokes, we only had British spokes then. 1.8mm will go in.

You should get the countersinks correct, the countersink supports the bend in the spoke.

Keith

I rebuilt a pair of Gran Sport hubs into a set of HP rims in the late 70s using 14/16 gauge spokes, and I drilled out each spoke hole with a very slightly larger drill bit, and slightly enlarged the countersink, as 'keithglos' suggested. I still have the hubs, and will be rebuilding them again sometime, with 2mm/1.8mm db spokes, for my Harrison rebuild (when I get around to it).

Back