Constrictor alloy rims are scarce - how about some replicas?

CommanderChuff

Devout Dirtbag
My new project is to retrofit a 1950 Hamilton with all British components to replicate Evelyn Hamilton's attempt on the 100 day long distance ride on such a machine. I have chosen constrictor Conley rims as suitable for the project. But the availability of original items is very scarce and expensive.

I have found that DCR wheels can supply alloy rims in the correct (domed) profile. These are 23mm wide and available in 32 holes. Whilst this is right for my front wheel hub, there is a 40 hole hub on the rear.

David at DCR wheels can order 40 hole rims but need a minimum order of 50 pieces. The rims are £60 each.

Please let me know of your interest in ordering one or some of these rims, thanks.

is there an opportunity to post to Australia?
I would be happy to publicise this with Australian collectors.

I am needing a set of 32/40 rims for a 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband project.

Re:

Perhaps you could get the makers or suppliers to send you one undrilled?

The Constrictor rims were Conloy, and the narrow section with deep well always caused puntures as the inner tube expanded past the wire beads. They made round section cotton rim tapes, and even using 2 was not enough.

This was the only make of alloy rim I have seen worn right through the brake surface. My first tubular tyres were pre war constrictors, produced without any stitching.

Keith

I am assuming the rims are in current production and may be well sorted.
Just that they will be 27" and 40 holes, which are becoming harder to source (at least for me)

Thank you for your interest.

Here are the profiles of the DCR rim and an extract from the 1952 Constrictor catalogue courtesy of the V-CC library. I have copied the description of the DCR rims from their website to provide the specifications and sizes. I think that the rims are very well designed and DCR have been handbuilding wheels for all sorts of purposes.

From the DCR website: Flirt Series - DCR 23mm alloy – £60/rim. 430g. 23mm deep, 23mm wide. 20/24/28/32h black anodised matte finish (shot blasted, then anodised): These rims are a really good all round rim with a nice finish. They have come out of a factory in Taiwan, capable of working with 6066-T6 alloy – naturally stronger than the traditional 6061 used in most rims. They do have a welded joint and can take a tubeless tyre. The spoke beds have been tested to over 300kgf, which is a very key feature for me, it means I can run tensions high to keep the wheels stiff and strong and the spokes reliable. Sapim spokes love high tensions, some rims, do not. There are no decals on this rim. We will, potentially, be offering them in the future. However for now they are a plain, shot blasted and anodised finish; understated quality. There are other profiles in the pipeline but they will not be available until 2016. The braking surface is a similar height to the A23, so not as shallow as the shallowest machining, but not as tall as a standard one – required to keep the weight down and strength and durability high on a rim like this. It means Kool Stop Dual Compound pads are recommended for easier tyre setup as well as longer life.

Attachments

• Constrictor ASP Alloy Rim V-CCLibrary TN.jpg
    Constrictor ASP Alloy Rim V-CCLibrary TN.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,530
  • dcr-rims.jpg
    dcr-rims.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,528
as a side by side comparison the rims are about 2mm narrower than my Conloy Asps and very significantly taller (8mm)
My Asps are 25mm wide and 15mm high.

Re:

Thanks for the update. As a summary the dimensions of the rims are:

Constrictor ASP: width 25mm, height 15mm.
DCR Flirt: width 23mm, height 23.5mm

From the remarks of KeithGlos it seems that the reliability of original ASP's was quite poor so the increase in profile height may prove to be beneficial.

As far as I am concerned the DCR rim is the closest profile in current production that I could find for the ASP originals. As such they will have to be considered to be look-a-likes and not an accurate replica. There are significant advantages to using modern materials and designs on wheels if a rider is using his vintage bike regularly, as well as saving the priceless original rims for prosperity.

The minimum order for a production order is 20 pieces, and anybody who is interested in the 40 hole 700c ASP-type rim should send a email or pm to myself. I will be pleased to co-ordinate a response to DCR, thanks.

have you looked at the Velocity Aero 27"
Aero_1_378_450.png

comes in (stated) existing drillings of 32, 36 and the magical 40 holes.

they also (stated) offer the Synergy profile in a 27" with drillings of 32, 40 and 48 holes

Latest posts

Back