1989 Raleigh Royal Bottom Bracket

rickangus

Retro Newbie
I recently became the proud owner of one of these bikes. Most of the bike is original with some parts, understandably, showing their age and needing renewal. In particular the bb.

I have removed the original. I'd thought that by 1989 Raleigh might have been fitting cartridge types but apparently not. This has a cup and cone type stamped Shimano D-3NL VIA. I was hoping to do a straight swap for a UN55 but the threads don't match - I'm assuming the original driveside cup must be a 26 tpi? So I'm now thinking about rebuilding the original c&c but having searched the web can't find new caged ball races or the rubber seals.

Any help/pointers as to what I should now do very gratefully received!

Re:

Thanks, that's a good, cheap option!

There appear to be seals on the cups where the axle passes through... Is this unusual? Surely there must be a means of excluding water, grit etc?

Re: Re:

rickangus":1nv4gp7z said:
Thanks, that's a good, cheap option!

There appear to be seals on the cups where the axle passes through... Is this unusual? Surely there must be a means of excluding water, grit etc?

I've not seen one with seals before but more experiences members might have. Usually you rely on the fit between the axle and the hole in the cup + a lot of thick grease to keep the muck out.

Re:

I am surprised that it doesn't look as if a cartridge BB will fit. I have a Royal of similar vintage, when it came to me the original BB had been replaced by a cartridge. I completely overhauled the machine a couple of years ago and I replaced the BB (which was starting to feel a bit notchy) with another cartridge. According to the box I have here it's a BB-UN55, 68mm, 122.5mm (D-NL). I am running a triple Exage chainset with Biopace rings, which I believe is the original set up. I also have a Randonneur of about the same date, also running a cartridge BB. So I think that if you would prefer to use a cartridge BB, you certainly have that option.

Re:

I would much prefer that option. However, I haven't actually tried a UN55, only a couple of old cartridge type bbs that were kicking around in the shed. One of them says it is JIS - could that have a different thread? Whatever, it definitely doesn't fit.

I will go and see if I can find another Shimano bb.

Re:

Jis is different, an English threaded cartridge will fit. I assume you are screwing it in the correct way I.e. Screwing towards the back wheel to tighten?

Ray

Re:

I still have the BB that I took out (it isn't in bad condition really) and according to the sticker this one is a UN54, it is also marked 68 - presumably the BB width in mm; BC1.37 x 24 which refers to the thread. Below that it has D-NL which I think refers to the overall length of the spindle. Why I ended up with a UN55 rather than a 54 I cannot remember now but there are three dimensions that you will need to consider: the thread, probably 1.37 x 24; the BB shell dimension, probably 68mm and the overall length, probably 122.5mm if you are running a triple like me. There are quite a few available through Ebay suppliers so it might be worth spending some time taking a look there.

Thanks; the JIS one definitely doesn't fit; I also have a PowerPro one which has since been replaced with a UN55 so therefore ought to be the same thread but that doesn't fit either.

Oh, and good check Ray about the reverse threading (counter clockwise) but yes, on this occasion, I was doing it correctly!

I think ebay will be my friend here. And before anyone suggests, I did look at Phil Wood's offerings but at knocking on for £200 for a 26tpi I'm exploring all other options first.

On another matter - may be this should be a separate post - I was looking at the frame number. Now, I thought I understood the Raleigh convention but not with this bike. The no. is B25023. Can anybody shed any light on that?

FWIW, the bike is black with a silver head tube and fitted with Biopace triple at the front. The rear wheel and cassette is not original so no point mentioning that. All other components match with the marketing documentation I found on this site. My homework suggests that it should be a 1989 model.

If anyone can throw some light on the provenance I'd be grateful.

Re:

Well then, I managed to source a UN55 bb (albeit in the wrong width) and the cups screwed in perfectly. So I'm now off the order a UN55 in the correct fitting.

That's one potentially big problem solved - and I'm very happy. Quite what I was doing before I don't know - I suppose I must have been playing with odd spec bbs.

I'll post my query re the frame s/n under a separate post.

Back