Is my crank or axle bent ?

darylw357

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, new member here with a couple of classic road bikes and a couple of questions too :)

This is my Orbit Gold Medal.

FjIqj0P.jpg

The non-drive side crank on this bike has always looked a bit odd to me and little has changed since I rebuilt the bottom bracket. The bracket is badly worn but I've fitted new bearings and adjusted it the best I could.

So does this look normal for this style of crank ? It really looks bent at the point where the taper and axle meet and the clearance near the rear chainstay .

Jr1nnD6.jpg

Looks normal to me. Photo might be tricking you with the chainstay being level - they spread outwards towards the wheel in real life, after all

Re:

It is always difficult to tell with these cranks some are straight some have a very slight curve. I think yours is okay though ;)

rest the chain on the bottom bracket shell and give the crank a good spin,you will see if anything is bent if the crank wobbles in and out viewed from above.

Re:

ask someone else to ride the bike - it only has to be short distance. If it's that far out, they will feel it instantly as the pedal axle won't rotate through a constant plane.

I say someone else, as you may be used to it

Thanks guys you've given me a few ideas to try. I will replace the BB at some point anyway as this one is still quite rough.

Back