Show us your Eroica Ride!

PerB

Old School Hero
Its only three weeks until the festival and I challenge you to show a picture of yours ride. I will be riding this Monark 90320 also called Super Continental from 1967. Its with the older Record groupe, thus I have 45 as the smallest chainwheel. I might cheat and put on a later 144 BCD crank enabling me to climb the hills on 42 teeths. We will be three similar Monark's on the medium ride, if you see us just say hello and stop for a chat.

Re:

Hi
This Raleigh for me. Hope to meet you there

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,743
1962 Sun Massed Start 100....
P5140104_zpscoou4rz0.jpg

If its wet!

My first choice ride is a 1968 Sun Chris Barber 10 team Replica...
P1138734_zpsyqfgxq0y.jpg

Ive since tweaked the gearing with a 28 rear block and changed the Alvit for a Simpelx Prestige, which feels a little more accurate in palcing the gears.

PerB":2h4hxvzl said:
Its only three weeks until the festival and I challenge you to show a picture of yours ride. I will be riding this Monark 90320 also called Super Continental from 1967. Its with the older Record groupe, thus I have 45 as the smallest chainwheel. I might cheat and put on a later 144 BCD crank enabling me to climb the hills on 42 teeths. We will be three similar Monark's on the medium ride, if you see us just say hello and stop for a chat.

Nice bike PerB, but just one thing to be aware of. As I found out last year the Eroica people stipulate down tube gear levers only. Even though I pointed out that I had bar-end levers in 1967 they were adamant that their rules apply.

Re:

I think you are wrong with your assumption that bar end shifter is not accepted, they are clearly accepted in the Italian event, but I shall check rules of Eroica Britannia as well.
The two years I have been participating in Bakewell there has been no control of the bikes whatsoever and I thing the Monark fully complies with spirit of the ride.

Re:

You are correct in saying there are no checks on riders bikes. However, it is in the rules and if you enter your bike in "Best in Show" they will not accept bar end levers.

cotterpin":2hfbeb33 said:
Nice bike PerB, but just one thing to be aware of. As I found out last year the Eroica people stipulate down tube gear levers only. Even though I pointed out that I had bar-end levers in 1967 they were adamant that their rules apply.

the rules:
4. Gear shifters on the downtube or exception would be Sturmey Archer style gearing. Modern day integrated gear shifting within the brake levers are not allowed.

Sorry Gino, the rules mean your bike is ineligible to enter the ride.
Gino-Bartali-Tour-de-France-1948-winner-Legnano-bike-Campagnolo-Cambia-Corsa-groupset.jpg

Sorry Jean, your bike is not 'heroic for our tastes.
clangers2.jpg

of course this also means all the rod FD changers are out
I think an appropriate rule would be to restrict the gearing to limit the ridiculous ratios being cobbled onto some bikes.

Cyclo bar end shifters were available from around 1950/51. I find it difficult to understand that a Sturmey Archer trigger on the handlebar is permitted but a bar-end lever is not correct. Using their Rules, you could have a SA 8-speed thumb shifter coupled with a 8 Speed Disc Brake Rear Hub but the 1948 TDF winning bike is not eligible.
I would suggest that you have a copy of the page from the relevant Campagnolo catalogue ready to show. It seems that this 'event' is now just a commodity to be packaged than a celebration of cycling of the past.

Big Block":1fdndhuq said:
It seems that this 'event' is now just a commodity to be packaged than a celebration of cycling of the past.

Was it ever anything else? Plenty of ebay listings along the line of RALEIGH WINNER 5 SPEED RACING BIKE RETRO VINTAGE FIXIE EROICA and a price of 350 quid.

Back