Old campagnolo comparing

Canoncampa

Retro Newbie
Hello from Ukraine for every one. Sorry for my English) I have a problem. I bought an old cannondale caad 3 with pre 2001 campagnolo groupset. I bought new 9spd rear cassette, 9spd campagnolo record chain to replace old components. But before I do this I broke my rear derailleur. So my question is what rear derailleur are compatible with thiese components and 2000 chorus duals. Too many information, I'm confused what I need to buy to replace the old one derailleur.Thanks to everyone.

Welcome!
You have to use a pre-2001 derailleur. This is easy to check as it has the adjustment screw (Shimano call it B-Tension) next to the hanger bolt. Later (post 2001) do not have one.

Re:

Thanks for your answer. So I can't use any new derailleur with old duals? Because I can't find old derailleur in Ukraine. I read that some new 10spd derailleurs can be used with old 9spd duals, but I don't understand which one.

Campagnolo said at the time that they were compatible between the two, even though the cable pull per click is different. It sort-of works, but is troublesome especially with dirty cables.

Remember that the round top (second generation) 9 speed Ergos came with two different cable pulls, 1998-2000 and 2001 onwards. You can change the ratchets inside to correct the cable pull and modernise an old shifter. That I think is the origin of your information.

The derailleurs are not so easy to find, eBay is where I have bought mine.

Re:

In spite of what Campagnolo said about this compatibility I have a winter bike with 99 mirage levers and a 10 sp Centaur from 05ish and it works flawlessly on a 9 sp cassette. I also have 1999 Record carbon levers which are working perfectly with a 2003 record 9sp rear mech with the carbon outer plate. I have also used the record 9 sp mech with 2006 record 10 sp perfectly. The guy in Parker International told me there was only a stickering difference. That seems true.

Agreed that it's probably only a difference in badging between post-2001 rear mechs for 9 or 10 speed. However between pre- and post-2001 systems there is a measuarable difference in pull per click.
It does work OK with clean, well-maintained systems using good cabling as the derailleur jockey float takes up the slack. Worn or dirty mixed systems go out of whack much faster (but possibly no worse than Shimano!)

Back