UK frame builders in 2017

nnc283

Dirt Disciple
Having been out of the loop for some time I'm trying to get up to speed on bespoke steel frame builders in the uk. Twenty years ago i would have known who to go to, (and who to avoid..) and what to pay, but I suspect most of the builders I was familiar with are either retired or dead. The last frame I bought made to measure was I think 1996 and about £600 then. Say there's around 40 hours work involved I'm guessing somewhere between £1500-2000 would be about right these days?

I'd be interested to hear from members with more up to date knowledge who the "names" are these days.

Re:

Brian Rourke Cycles are my local builder. Frames are now built by Jason Rourke. You are about right on cost for a top end frame. I had a frame built last year - a tig welded Reynolds 953 frame with Enve road carbon forks and a Chris King headset. From memory it was just over £2000. That was for a fairly standard 2 colour finish but you can go as mad as you like with paint and polished stainless finish. When I had mine, the waiting list was about 7 months for the build and probably a month to get a fitting appointment.

Argos still build custom frames. Bob Jacksons also. Steve Goff & Dave Yates may still be building frames.

cce":2me9i9di said:
There are loads!

Plenty of the traditional names still going, and loads of new ones too
this list of exhibitors from the bespoked handmade bike show is a good place to start

http://www.bespoked.cc/2017%20Exhibitor ... 7exhi.html

your estimation of £1500-2000 is a fair starting point from what I've been able to gather

Thanks cce that's a useful link.

It is interesting how many of the old names have weathered the storm of cheap imports.

Re:

£1500-£2000? They must have big windows.....I'm very friendly with a fella who'll do ye a frameset-fillet brazed, mind-for closer to your mid-'90s price. give us a shout if you need owt!

Re: Re:

mullinino":2yrh0vii said:
£1500-£2000? They must have big windows.....I'm very friendly with a fella who'll do ye a frameset-fillet brazed, mind-for closer to your mid-'90s price. give us a shout if you need owt!
depends what you want

you'll not get a custom 953 frame with Enve forks for the mid-90's price (£600ish).
That's top end and equivalent to a good carbon or titanium frame.

But I wouldn't want to spend £600 on a new 531/631 type frame (maybe for touring) - the technology has moved on and I have to pedal the bugger around the Peak district where going uphill is hard enough.

Guy in the northeast called Kevin winter. I'm just deciding what I want built then I'll get back in touch with him. Decent builders are in high demand so expect to wait. He was very helpful with tube types etc on first conversation. Obviously not cheap but you are getting something bespoke and crafted. Sound bloke :cool:

Latest posts

Back