What to think about a damaged steel frame?

Robin88

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I'm new here, originally from Belgium but living in London. I'm looking to buy my first road bike but more likely a bike from mid 80s to late 90s. Steel, early lugged carbon or early aluminium.

Well, after missed a few sales I'm here front of dilemma. A Colnago Master Olympic, mostly shimano 105/600 component but Campa Chorus crankset. Rigida dp18 rims. Only "problem", the frame has been fixed. They is a welt on the chain stay, just behind the crankset. The seller told me it has been well done, and it's true it's not too obvious although it hasn't been re-painted properly. Roughly, if we can talk about money, the seller asking 450gbp.

I'm first waiting to hear from another seller, but let's say if I don't get that first bike, is there anything to worry about this Colnago?

I guess a picture will talk more than words, I'll try to add it later.

Thanks a lot

Robin :)

Attachments

• 3da1fb319819c715798a48a276bea923e7b0f3bd.jpg
    3da1fb319819c715798a48a276bea923e7b0f3bd.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 552
Don't touch it unless you know exactly how and who did the repair as excess heat will destroy the quality/strength of the tubing. Plenty of nice stuff to choose from, keep looking.

Thanks for you replies. That's what I was thinking, I'll avoid and follow your advices.

That's a nice bike tho. For the same price I could have a Look kg171 once (pink), but I'm not sure about the color and it's campy chorus mounted, so I'll keep looking.

Back