Help identifying Raleigh from 1983(?)

mark_t_i

Retro Newbie
Hoping for some advice. I picked a nice steel (531) frame for a SS project and on closer inspection, while it's been refurbished nicely by Goff, the seriel number (starts WD3...) and lug style look very much a Raleigh to me. It's clearly had some modification (some cable guides removed) and possibly mech hanger.

Anyone have any thoughts on 1) if this looks like a Raleigh and 2) if so which model?

I was thinking of getting it resprayed but before I do I'm wondering if to go for a traditional 'Raleigh' look or something else?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 987
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 987
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 987
I recognise those teardrop lug cutouts and sloping crown forks...... I'll have a think over a bacon butty :)

Shaun

Memory fade again so looked at the VCC online Raleigh catalogues for 1983 and nothing matched. The Frame itself looks like a Carlton Pro Am 12 but the forks are not. The rear brake cable guides on the side of the top tube are very Carlton stylee as Raleigh went onto guides at the top.

Nice though :)

Shaun

Thing is that the frame number is exactly that of the 1980s Raleigh. Could it be produced in 1983, but sold in 1984?

Is the third letter of the number a well formed 3 for 1983 or is it a bit of a half formed 8 from 1978?

Shaun

Definitely a 3. The other thing I just noted is there is an additional letter marked on the BB, separate to the main frame number. The letter K. I guess it could be 1973, rather than 1983. I notice that the 1973 Professional Mk IV has the sloping fork crown.

The K on the BB shell is not part of the serial number, I'm sure the 3 in the serial number is 1983 and not 1973 given the frame design. I still think the frame left the factory as a Carlton (not sure about the forks). Are there 3 holes in the head tube for a Raleigh badge?

Shaun

Re:

Only a thought, but have you rung up Steve Goff and asked him if he remembers what the frame was originally? He's on 01695 720030.

Back