What's this holdsworth?

Re:

Well.. It is hard to escape the conclusion that this particular machine is asking you to either abandon your fidelity to the 42mm chainline, or reconcile yourself to miniscule crank/chainstay clearance along with some ceiling on your chainring tooth-count. The only way around it that I can see is to put a strategic dent in the chainstay? Or an old school crank with very small BCD, like the old TA/Stronglight?

Re:

Yes, this is clearly the case. But thanks for putting it so succinctly. I'm having a lot of fun on this bike, and will continue to tinker and learn with it.

Thanks by the way for all of your insight and knowledge. It's really helped me create an notion of pedigree for this beautiful frame, something that can't really be measured by value, methinks.

For now I'll ride and enjoy, and someday soon I plan to exhaust myself at Herne Hill velodrome, if only once.

Ta

zvdmpcx.jpg

Changed crankset to something more classic looking. Chainring from sales forum here. Currently pushing 75gi which is a nice slow rolling trundle.

Emerging issue however is that my seatpost slips. I'm convinced it's the wrong size. Anyone know what size it's likely to take? 27.2 would be lovely as I have a nice campy one.

Re:

I doubt you'll get a 27.2 in there. I believe the seatpost diameter usually associated with plain gauge 531 is 26.4mm. No guarantees! Depends on how clean your seat tube is inside..

Did your chainstay/crank clearance change at all as a result of changing the cranks?

Hmm, a conundrum then. The 26.4 I have in is slipping. I've shimmed it with beer can slithers so will see if that works. I have ordered a gauge to measure it properly so will eventually have a better idea.

Yeah changing the cranks increased clearance to about 5mm, i suspect that the other cranks may have had worn tapers.

75gi is a lot of work though, Saturdays 40 odd miles have given my legs a good workout, hope to regain some previous form so I'm sure it'll help!

Back