9 speed rear cassette
carbon fiber front fork
Mavic Elite rims

Attachments

• 1975 Bob Jackson3.png
    1975 Bob Jackson3.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,152
I've gone and done it again!

1980 Carlton Clubman, built with content of spares box. Running Campag 3x9 on down tube shifters. Rides nicely and the old school levers are ok to use. Complete with mudguards / pump it weighs in at 10.2Kg, not bad for a steel, mudguarded, triple equipped bike. I have actually now matched the mudguards up.

Re:

Interesting post, I'm currently getting a Carlton back on the road and using modern parts in places. I've always wondered if the common opinion is that retro bikes or anything for that matter should be kept in their original condition and restored with like for like parts and paint schemes.

Re: Re:

Stump28":34rtvpph said:
Interesting post, I'm currently getting a Carlton back on the road and using modern parts in places. I've always wondered if the common opinion is that retro bikes or anything for that matter should be kept in their original condition and restored with like for like parts and paint schemes.

Welcome.
I think there is plenty of room for both.
If you have a particularly rare frame/bike in original condition with lovely original parts, then it's a shame to strip that down just to pop a new groupset on, but on the other hand there are plenty of frames which have lost their originality in one way or another which can get a fantastic lease of life from new parts.

Not the oldest frame at 1993, but its more than 10 years older than the groupset.

Full Chorus 10 speed with Carbon cranks, ergos and rear mech. 53/39 man rings up front and a girly 13-30 out back (its fookin hilly round here).

I absolutely love this bike!

Attachments

• loud Cougar in the sun.jpg
    loud Cougar in the sun.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 623
Re:

1989 Concorde Gavina (Columbus SL)

This one is a hybrid build - Delta brakes with period brake levers, and downtube shifters... 10 speed downtube shifters, controlling a 10 speed triple drivetrain.

Rides like a dream.

Attachments

• Gav with a view.jpg
    Gav with a view.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 622
Nice thread! I was just looking how to build a neo-retro bike with a Pinarello Sestriere steel frame and 8 speed shamals and it has inspired me.

Sorry if that's been replied before but still not sure if I can keep the 8 speed cassete and run it with new campy 10 speed derailleu for example, or should I upgrade to 10 speed cassete, if possible

jordic1968":152uwmck said:
Nice thread! I was just looking how to build a neo-retro bike with a Pinarello Sestriere steel frame and 8 speed shamals and it has inspired me.

Sorry if that's been replied before but still not sure if I can keep the 8 speed cassete and run it with new campy 10 speed derailleu for example, or should I upgrade to 10 speed cassete, if possible

As far as I know, 8 speed body won't take a 10 speed (or even 9 speed) cassette.

correct, but asuming I'm ok with 8 speed, is it possible to mix a 8 speed cassete with a 10 speed modern derailleur?

jordic1968":3raqjxim said:
correct, but asuming I'm ok with 8 speed, is it possible to mix a 8 speed cassete with a 10 speed modern derailleur?

and what shifters? If you're using 8 speed shifters, why not look for an 8 speed (C Record) derailleur? But it will possibly work with a newer derailleur. I have a bike with a mix of 10 speed Chorus brifters and 9 speed Record derailleur and it works fine.

Back