HELP ! Recently purchased Colnago C40 problem?

RobWJL

Old School Hero
Hi all,

I just bought a c40, arrived today from someone who seems like a decent bloke in Germany with whom I've been in discussions with for a while.

On arrival the frame looks as per the pics - excellent condition, no damage. Likewise the components - well looked after.

However, when I turned the frame upside down whilst building it, small / very small fragments of carbon dropped out of the seat tube. This obviously concerned me!

The access point for the seat post is sound and undamaged internally.

If this is damage, It's very difficult to see how it occurred considering the overall condition of the frame. The bike was very well packed and the box had no visible damage from transit.

Anyone ever come across this before?

I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 945
Re:

Fragments of a previously broken seatpost perhaps?

I hope it works out for you, the C40 is an excellent bike.

Re:

Thanks, would be a gutter if it was knackered.

Some other pieces fell out (see pic) which have paint on them so this suggests to me it's not part of the frame and could be an old disintegrated seat post....?

Diameter of fragments also similar to seat post.

Hope so anyway!

Attachments

• IMG_3587.JPG
    IMG_3587.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 936
torch down the seat tube, bottom bracket out and torch in there too. Big chunks like that you'd be able to see the damage quite easily.

Is it a through tube from seat tube to bottom bracket, or is it capped?

Re:

What did the seller say if you think he is a decent bloke? The clue would be in his response as to what you have... will worth getting an x-ray done as Carbon shatters unexpectedly when you least expect it especially after anykind of previous crash etc..... you have to be so careful of any damage like this with carbon........
Good luck....

Re: Re:

Nob":39td10mk said:
What did the seller say if you think he is a decent bloke? The clue would be in his response as to what you have... will worth getting an x-ray done as Carbon shatters unexpectedly when you least expect it especially after anykind of previous crash etc..... you have to be so careful of any damage like this with carbon........
Good luck....

He seemed surprised. I couldn't really read anything into his reaction as it was all by email.

Any idea who x-rays bike frames?

Latest posts

Back