How to identify a Campagnolo chainset

lupton

Retro Newbie
Hi. I'd be grateful if any of the Campag experts could confirm what chainset this is. I think it is a Veloce from some time in the 90s, but would like to be certain. The cranks have 074T underneath, if that means anything. Many thanks for any help.

chainset1.jpg

chainset2.jpg

Mirage / Veloce / Athena / Daytona / Centaur all used exactly the same crank forging; the difference was the rings. Athena and Centaur had machined rings while Mirage & Veloce used the stamped ones.

Yours are stamped so it's Mirage / Veloce, mid 90s. They are all nicely made cranks.

Re:

The outer chainring with the AS mark is older than the crank.

The left crank has the remains of a script logo, so is 1995 to 1999.

The middle chainring is marked C9 for 9 speed.

So if the middle ring is original it's from the 1998 or 1999 catalogue.

If the middle ring isn't original, then the crank could be pretty much any of the triples from the 1995 to 1999 catalogues except Avanti, Chorus or Record.

Thanks very much. I thought it was a few years older than that to be honest. It came fitted as a double on a bike built up by a local shop, if my memory is correct.

As a subsidiary question, is there any reason why these chainrings should not be rotated to equalise wear? How about flipping them over?

One question to hamster. You say:

Mirage / Veloce / Athena / Daytona / Centaur all used exactly the same crank forging

Does that mean the cranks are the same for all these groups, or was there some other difference in quality? Thanks a lot.

Re:

They have recessed holes for the bolts, so you can't flip them. The outer ring has a pin behind the crank arm, so can't be rotated. You can rotate the inner ring.

Personally, I've never bothered worrying about uneven chainring wear! A good rummage at a cycle jumble will turn up plenty of Campagnolo 135mm chainrings for peanuts.

lupton":2g4yw615 said:
One question to hamster. You say:
Mirage / Veloce / Athena / Daytona / Centaur all used exactly the same crank forging
Does that mean the cranks are the same for all these groups, or was there some other difference in quality? Thanks a lot.

IIRC the Athena / Daytona / Centaur ones had a slightly nicer polish to them. In terms of the metal they are identical...and after a quick lick of brasso the finish is the same too. :D

Back