Fat touring/gravel tyre advice please ?

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Need some new tyres for my Dave Yates tourer (700c), anticipate riding some gravel paths - no serious off-road, but will be doing the Cornish C2C later this year - among other rides planned.

Frame will take (poss) up to a 700x32, 700x28s on at the mo'.

Suggestions please guys.

Jon.

N.B not bought 700c touring tyres before.

Schwalbe Marathon greenguard. They do amazingly well on rolling resistance tests, last forever and are tough as old boots. I happily run them on gravel, light mud and tarmac.

Re:

The fattest, most puncture proof one you can find. Maybe compromise as that will be the heaviest probably so throw weight into the equation. Gravel needs no tread. I do about 4000 miles a year on gravel. Never missed knobblies.

If you have hooked rims, I'd suggest the Panaracer Pasela TG Folding tyre. Not the cheapest, but worth every penny. I've been using them for the past five years on the Italian strade bianche, Belgian cobblestones, French tow paths and other assorted non-pavements and they've never let me down.

Nice bonus is their low weight: 280 grams a piece vs the 560 grams of the Schwalbe Greenguard. A difference you'll notice.

Re:

I have a lot of time for the Continental Speed. Great grip, nice ride and roll really well on Tarmac or dirt. I have done a lot of commuting miles on them and some 100 mile plus trips. If your frame can take 35c

Back