Cycling footwear

Re:

Thanks.

Looks like I should possibly risk a 43, shown as 8.5, although a 42 usually does the trick.

Maybe I'll give Spa a ring and have a chat.

Re:

Many moons ago, up to 60 of us teenagers/ 20-somethings of would ride a balls-out (not literally!) training run every Tuesday night during the better months. One summer evening, this new guy turned up with a Holdsworth touring bike, a single pannier bag and trainers. I am ashamed to say that we sniggered at what we considered his complete ignorance as to what he was getting into what with a multitude of 753s, Vitus Duralinox, Colnago Masters being the order of the day in the bunch back then.

When we got the ride underway this boy would not give up - just kept coming through...and coming through and coming through until eventually after the halfway mark, he rode off of the front never to be seen again, complete with his single pannier bag flapping in the wind!! :shock:

To this day I'm still convinced he was an English First Cat rider/ unknown Pro up here on his holidays. None of us could bear the possibility that he was just an average Joe who happened to be incredibly good on the bike! We never did see him again...thankfully :oops:

Anyway, a pair of these should see you in good form too - they certainly didn't slow him down!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-Mens-G ... Swax5Y29PC

:facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You might want to consider a pair of real cycling shoes.

I bit the bullet last year and bought these touring shoes for use with clips and straps. Much nicer than any sneakers I've used before. Better fit in the pedals, good grip, while easier to get in and out and less pressure from the pedal cage.

1k0.jpg

I hope no-one minds me resurrecting an old thread. I have been using my old Adidas Tokyos to cycle in since forever, and they are comfortable, light and bright red (so very easy to find in the shoe cupboard). However, they are also now well and truly knackered. I only ride with toe clips and straps. I have my finger hovering over the "Buy" button on the https://reynolds-england.com/products/p ... assic-road website. But before I do, what does everyone else wear with clips and straps? Any recommendations?

Re:

I love an old resurrection!!

I haven't used toe clips and straps since 1986, but my favourite shoes back then HAD to be Adidas Eddy Merckx. They were so easy to engage with the pedal cage due to the shape of the plastic two way adjustable cleats. Nothing else came close.

Re:

I use clips and have some of the Reynolds shoes and have no complaints. I also have a pair of Vittoria 1976 which offer a bit more support (and style). I picked both up from eBay for much less than the new price. The vittoria tend to be sized small (I'm a 45 but wear 46 in Vittoria. Reynolds are true sized).

Re:

I thought i would attempt to clear up a couple of points regarding cycling shoes.
They are designed and made for 1 purpose, namely cycling. They're not suitable for anything else. If you need to walk then i suggest using cleat covers. They increase the life of the cleats and make walking a bit easier/bareable.
The other option is to fit SPD/combi pedals. I use them on my winter bike & have got a pair of Sidi Draco mtb shoes. The shoes have a stiff sole, so don't lose much power/effect and one is able to walk in them without wearing out the cleat.
That's all from me folks.

Goldie,

The Reynolds are lovely, and should be repairable and so last forever.

If , however, you are looking for something easier to find on the shoe cupboard :)

https://proou.com/boutique/sneakers/proou-electric/.

More seriously, the Ribo shoes are great, not all the styles are at brash. I had a pair semi made to measure (different size feet) and they are close fitting, great on the bike and good for walking. Plus the father of the current shoemaker used to make Bahamontes’s shoes .

Back