1950s tour of the Loire.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Not sure if there's much interest in these old photos, but here's one of my Wife's Dad Peter on his Hobbs of Barbican - his second such tour in 1953. He's the chap astride his machine, twin bidons in a cage on the 'bars, his sister Pam on a similiar HoB bicycle just behind and to his left.

I have both of these bicycles.

Jon.

Attachments

• Peter-Loire_Tour_50s.jpg
    Peter-Loire_Tour_50s.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 990
Re:

Hi David.

I didn't expect much interest in this period (golden age) on RB but thank you for yours.

Jon.

CommanderChuff":2t5oevp1 said:
Jon,

This is a lovely photo, and shows very clearly the riding clothes of the 50's. Please do post some more. Thanks.

I fully agree. Greenspot Nomad jacket, khaki shorts with belt, woolly pully, etc. etc.

And not a racing jersey or shorts in sight!

Or a helmet...............

Fabulous photo, it does make me wonder if modern day cyclists (well me at least) have got a bit soft with the "need" for special cycling clothing.
It's well before my time so I don't know if those are normal clothes or 1950s sporting outfits.

I'd like to see more if you have any.

Mark.

Re:

Somewhere on the bbc site is a film from those days,maybe a bit later of a ctc day out.Life was so simpler it seams.

Re:

Life was so simpler it seams.
Not least because we all had one bike..(if we were lucky).. which we couldn't get parts for.. and rationing... :)

I have one of those 'handyman' books from back then- or maybe even before back then- that attempt to tell you how to do every practical thing you might need to do, including straightening out bent bike frames, brazing them, and reconditioning the bearing surfaces..

Great pic. Corduroy shorts there with a YHA badge sewn on if I'm not mistaken. Love those handlebars.

Re:

Great photogragh. Look forward to seeing more.
Nice to see real bikes being used as they should. Is that a light on the front right of the Hobbs?
Hard to tell on my phone.
Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":2b01c3hz said:
Great photogragh. Look forward to seeing more.
Nice to see real bikes being used as they should. Is that a light on the front right of the Hobbs?
Hard to tell on my phone.
Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

yes it is a light. There's a brazed on boss for the light alloy (Hiduminium) bracket for a light - I have one bicycle with this type of boss on both fork legs.

Jon.

Back