Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

Old frames with new components are the ultimate in enjoyment in my opinion – two of mine:

1983 De Rosa Professional with Campy Athena 11spd (pic by FYXO)

1971 Cinelli Speciale Corsa with Campy SR 11 spd (excuse the unsightly chain on the small chainring)

dadoflam":241fpjav said:
Old frames with new components are the ultimate in enjoyment in my opinion – two of mine:

1983 De Rosa Professional with Campy Athena 11spd (pic by FYXO)

1971 Cinelli Speciale Corsa with Campy SR 11 spd (excuse the unsightly chain on the small chainring)

Wow, very smart!

A question that is somewhat the inverse of the purpose of this thread, yet hopefully still relevant: I'm about to build up a modern-ish (mid 00's) CX frame for commuting, and am currently rummaging through my parts bin for components. Would there be any potential problems with matching an older (90's) square taper crankset with a more modern groupset with brifters, like Sora or Ultegra?

Nope.

Unless it's something ancient designed to run with a 1/8th chain. ;)
Anything within a couple of speeds should be compatible with a bit of finessing.
I'm running many hybrid set ups, 8 speed chainset and 10 speed driveline, 9 speed chainset and 11 speed driveline are two that spring to mind.

mattr":39hnevpi said:
Nope.

Unless it's something ancient designed to run with a 1/8th chain. ;)
Anything within a couple of speeds should be compatible with a bit of finessing.
I'm running many hybrid set ups, 8 speed chainset and 10 speed driveline, 9 speed chainset and 11 speed driveline are two that spring to mind.

Indeed. I am running an end eighties Croce d'Aune crankset on a new Veloce. Just see to it you have the chainline correct.

dadoflam":1yynmxwm said:
1971 Cinelli Speciale Corsa

sure this is a 1971 bike? Didn't know they already had the brake cable internal than. Thought that was more late eighties, early nineties.

But nice bike anyway. ;-)

Wim

WimVDD":2272f726 said:
dadoflam":2272f726 said:

sure this is a 1971 bike? Didn't know they already had the brake cable internal than. Thought that was more late eighties, early nineties.

Wim

It had been given a modern makeover by a previous owner - braze-ons had been added etc - and including the internal brake cable run set-up. The cable entry ports are not the ones that Cinelli used in the 80's. Because the frame was so modified I decided to do a retro build rather than vintage. It is my favourite Sunday rider.

dadoflam":2glmco32 said:
WimVDD":2glmco32 said:
dadoflam":2glmco32 said:

Wim

It had been given a modern makeover by a previous owner - braze-ons had been added etc - and including the internal brake cable run set-up. The cable entry ports are not the ones that Cinelli used in the 80's. Because the frame was so modified I decided to do a retro build rather than vintage. It is my favourite Sunday rider.

It's a very nice one too! :)

I have a (1996) Cinelli Supercorsa on my attic waiting to be build.

Back