F H GRUBB FRAME DECALS

Re:

Thankyou so much John. It does have Reynolds 531 tubing. Will get a picture later. Not sure but the headbadge could be. Are the Anerley holes the same distance apart? It certainly does help. Will see if i can work angles out.

Simon

spd2112
I have only just noticed your comment regarding the Grubb DT decals with 'limited' in the underline 'tail'
If this is an original decal it may well help to determine if the version that Lloyds have correct. Any chance of a photo please ?

My 'Perfection' frame is now with an artist who promises (at great expense !) to reproduce the decal as a flat line drawing which I will supply to Steve at Lloyd's. Once I have a scan of then line drawing I will post it on here also.

It now appears that the 'queried' script design has turned up on a 1930's machine, so we now have 3 script designs for Grubb machines that are before the Holdsworth script design.

This image (red / gold) has been faithfully reproduced from the original down tube decal on my 1950 Grubb Perfection frame. (see image earlier in this thread). I have also had the original checker pattern seat tube panel reproduced as a vinyl decal to match (again exactly as the originals on my frame)
Both should soon be available from H Lloyd.

Fortunately my frame also carries much of the original complex box lining in red and gold. Following plating and stove enamelling in the original colour I plan to reproduce this also. In short, the plan is to restore the frame to a state as close to the original as possible. I will post more pictures as I progress.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 527
At last another frame has turned up with the same style of down tube decal (albeit in blue).
It is in extremely poor condition but enough is (was) visible to match it. Can be seen on here on thread titled '1949 Grubb....I hope'
The frame in question (in my opinion) dates from 1951/2 - before the Holdsworth acquisition of the Grubb name.
There must be more out there.

Re: grubb decals.

I have purchased the 52 Grubb frame you helped ID. It will shortly be going away for proper respray. I was very interested in your comments and agree it looks very much like utvwas a fh Grubb ltd just pre holdsworth. I would be obliged if you could post pics of the decals. By the time I got the frame it had need sand blasted and rattle can resprayed so I don't have anything tobgi on. If you do have time I would appreciate copies in a format I can use on a Facebook page I've recently set up on Grubbs and Claud butler. Thanks in advance

Not sure which frame that you are referring to. Frame number is the best guide. The decal that I have had originated would not have been used after Holdsworth took over the Grubb name and that was in 1952. Maybe post some pictures and a frame number and we can see what would be appropriate

Re: grubb decals.

It's the frame you helped identify before Xmas. He had bought it in auction and thought it was 1949

I have seen many Grubb frames in recent months so I regret that I cannot picture this one. Frame number alone will most likely give a good idea of date. Can you not supply this ?

Back