Need help with a wrong size frame.....

Re: Re:

torqueless":j4n13b8j said:
The bike I crashed was a 90's SLX, loved it.

Apologies for butting in- I just wanted to say:
You know that that Concorde is repairable? Have you stripped it down? It looks possible from the picture that that is a two tube (top & down tube) replacement. There must be some way of getting a frame builder to evaluate whether or not it is 'merely' a two tube replacement job or a more costly whole front end replacement job before committing to the work. Admittedly major frame repairs can work out pretty expensive, especially if you want them to put the paint back on afterwards, and you can almost certainly find a replacement SLX (or SL) frame for the same money (or less than) the repair would cost. I only mention this as an alternative since you used the 'L' word..

Strangely enough that damage does look like what you'd expect from front-ending a Reynolds 531db (rather than Columbus) frame- the bullet-proof forks unscathed but top 'n' down tubes completely f*cked just behind the head lugs. I'd have expected a Columbus fork to show some visible distortion.

No problem, please do!
Yes I had a quote for the repairs, £700, thats forks (bent , I havent got a pic, not too bad though) top and down tube with a repaint. As much as I LOVE (ha) the bike I cant quite go to that money.

jackosbournesnr":227odb5m said:
Same height as me, but I've got shorter legs so a 58 with standard geometry is not great in terms of standover clearance. I'm happy on a 55/56 with a decent chunk of seatpost showing.

58/59 c/t should be ideal for you with a 60 probably close to the limit. Any bigger than a 60 and you'll be in the same position as me on a 58 - too close to the top tube for comfort if you need a speedy dismount.

The next question is why SLX/TSX?

What is your riding style and how much do you weigh? If you're a powerful, chunky type, TSX is not necessarily right for you. If you don't race, you don't NEED SLX and you should know that SL is actually lighter than SLX.

If you open up to SL framesets you'll have a huge choice of quality frames available.

So what is your preference? Small frame with high seatpost or large frame with seat right down?

It has to be really as good or better than the last bike, a mental thing. I weigh around 90kgs but hoping that will come down. I really want a bike to love again, ride, maintain etc. I didnt have that with the modern trek. I might even put on the shimano 600. I'd really rather pay more once than always be chasing. I sound like my wife in the shopping centre so I really sincerely apologise!

jackosbournesnr":3lwrw3ad said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concorde-Squa ... Sw2gxY2BWS

Looks in great condition. Unsure of the tubing type, as its a generic Columbus decal but judging by the pantographing its either a Squadra or Prelude (two of the high end Concordes) and probably SLX or TSX depending on the year.

The brazed on Italian flag on the top tube confirms it as a higher end model. If it had a Cinelli spoiler bottom bracket, I'd be pretty sure of SLX/TSX.

Regardless of al that, its not worth any more than £350 though.

Looks very good. I have trouble with postage here to Portugal, sometimes I have to pay duty on top, not always from EU, always from outside EU. UK stuff is better. I'm surprised nothing turns up in Portugal, cycling is really popular here but the retro steel isnt yet.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It's nice.

I've never heard of the maker though.

To be fair though, Marcello Gonnella from Lucca has never heard of Cougar, so that's not necessarily important.

Pricey for a less than famous brand, although it is supposedly NOS

mazzamark":2nwois13 said:
So what is your preference? Small frame with high seatpost or large frame with seat right down?

It has to be really as good or better than the last bike, a mental thing. I weigh around 90kgs but hoping that will come down. I really want a bike to love again, ride, maintain etc. I didnt have that with the modern trek. I might even put on the shimano 600. I'd really rather pay more once than always be chasing. I sound like my wife in the shopping centre so I really sincerely apologise!

At 90kg, you're in danger of noodling a TSX frame or at best finding it whippy when you really lay it on.

Stick to SLX or SL or one of the Reynolds equivalents.

I used to prefer a bigger frame and low seatpost, but having grown used to compact geometry, I now prefer a slightly smaller frame or certainly one one that my knackers won't get squished on when I stop at a set of lights.

When you say "always be chasing" is that you want the best or because you feel you couldn't keep up with others on the road with a lesser frame?

If it's the former, remember that a good frame is more than just what tubing it's made from... Research any obscure builders before parting with cash

jackosbournesnr":aguhdvr7 said:
mazzamark":aguhdvr7 said:

At 90kg, you're in danger of noodling a TSX frame or at best finding it whippy when you really lay it on.

Stick to SLX or SL or one of the Reynolds equivalents.

I used to prefer a bigger frame and low seatpost, but having grown used to compact geometry, I now prefer a slightly smaller frame or certainly one one that my knackers won't get squished on when I stop at a set of lights.

When you say "always be chasing" is that you want the best or because you feel you couldn't keep up with others on the road with a lesser frame?

If it's the former, remember that a good frame is more than just what tubing it's made from... Research any obscure builders before parting with cash

Yes an SLX would be perfect, I havent tried a TSX, I didnt really like my friends Concorde SL but as you say its just tubing.

I usually cycle on my own but I always try and buy the best, you can always sell it on and not lose out much, well unless you crash it! Ideally I'd like a team race bike like yours ;-) I'd happily settle for an SL then.

Think I'm the same as you, small frame and higher seat. I'd be happy with another 57 c-t I think as it was 57 square and the closer bars felt good, strange with my +9 armspan.

Re:

I'm surprised nothing turns up in Portugal, cycling is really popular here but the retro steel isnt yet.

I can't think of any particular reason why the per-capita tally of 'obsolete' high-end road frames in Portugal should be significantly different from that of France or Italy? If what you say is true it sounds like an opportunity to pick up a bargain? Difficult to know where to look though I guess with no established/visible 'market'.

There have been links in this thread to ebay listings of at least two frames priced in US Dollars. One of the sellers patently sources stuff in Italy, and ships it to the states to supply the domestic (US) market. It beggars belief that it makes economic sense to ship a frame across the Atlantic, mark up the price for the US market, covering the cost of getting it there, and then ship it back again to you, located just across the Mediterranean from its country of origin, for that inflated price, plus more shipping costs and whatever duty you have to pay on it? Just because you pay a premium it doesn't mean you get a better frame. All you are paying for is intact-ish paint and jet fuel.

Re: Re:

torqueless":39094moo said:
I'm surprised nothing turns up in Portugal, cycling is really popular here but the retro steel isnt yet.

I can't think of any particular reason why the per-capita tally of 'obsolete' high-end road frames in Portugal should be significantly different from that of France or Italy? If what you say is true it sounds like an opportunity to pick up a bargain? Difficult to know where to look though I guess with no established/visible 'market'.

There have been links in this thread to ebay listings of at least two frames priced in US Dollars. One of the sellers patently sources stuff in Italy, and ships it to the states to supply the domestic (US) market. It beggars belief that it makes economic sense to ship a frame across the Atlantic, mark up the price for the US market, covering the cost of getting it there, and then ship it back again to you, located just across the Mediterranean from its country of origin, for that inflated price, plus more shipping costs and whatever duty you have to pay on it? Just because you pay a premium it doesn't mean you get a better frame. All you are paying for is intact-ish paint and jet fuel.

The problem is with Portugal it is still in the dark ages re internet. No ebay, amazon etc. The bike shops are really only KTM or branded or little side street guys garages who fix bikes. I am going to have a look in those though. The adverts I have seen on olx.pt or custojusto.pt are awful, never a size, grim photos and astronomical prices. As I was looking for an example I was proved wrong with my first ad
https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/vendo-quadro ... 06c8838d66

and again

https://www.olx.pt/anuncio/quadro-pinar ... 06c8838d66

Hilarious as I spend hours looking the other night. I'll start looking.

Latest posts

Back