Need help with a wrong size frame.....

jackosbournesnr":22nrhe54 said:
Depends on the brand, and when it comes to eBay, your luck.

Eg. My genuine team issue (probably) PDM Concorde (SLX) was a bargain because nobody with Concorde knowledge was looking when it was up for sale.

For SLX/TSX I'd expect to pay around 300 for a well known brand, maybe 500 up for the super-brands and as much as £1000 for rare ones or those with a verifiable provenance.

Spend a bit of time getting a feel for what they go for.

If your desperate, I have a 58cm Cougar that I might consider selling to someone that would use it but it's Reynolds 653.

What year colour is your slx?

I'm guessing the prices are in good condition not needing a re spray etc.

I have been looking, ebay isnt the best though. I did want to buy from a guy on here "wheelnut" but it didnt work out when I was home.

Thanks for your offer, I havent tried a Reynolds and anything less than an slx and I fear I'll be always chasing. If your offer is still open in a month when I'm back in the UK I could be very tempted. Have you got a pic?

Not sure if this is 87 or 88...

IMAG0846_zpsva5ln2gl.jpg

The Cougar will still be available, but I'm sure we can find you an SLX frameset before then.

jackosbournesnr":2tgksqn7 said:
Not sure if this is 87 or 88...

The Cougar will still be available, but I'm sure we can find you an SLX frameset before then.

You have some beautiful bikes!

That would be amazing, I have been looking off and on for 3 years. I would be willing to move my trip back to fit in a bike. My concorde was 57 c-t but always thought it was slightly too small as had the seat up to the line on the post.

Re:

Yes I think I'm pretty flexible on size as I have a 33' leg, 5'11 and plus 9cm on my arm span at 187cm. Sorry about the metric/imperial mix, I can't find an imperial tape here.

Same height as me, but I've got shorter legs so a 58 with standard geometry is not great in terms of standover clearance. I'm happy on a 55/56 with a decent chunk of seatpost showing.

58/59 c/t should be ideal for you with a 60 probably close to the limit. Any bigger than a 60 and you'll be in the same position as me on a 58 - too close to the top tube for comfort if you need a speedy dismount.

The next question is why SLX/TSX?

What is your riding style and how much do you weigh? If you're a powerful, chunky type, TSX is not necessarily right for you. If you don't race, you don't NEED SLX and you should know that SL is actually lighter than SLX.

If you open up to SL framesets you'll have a huge choice of quality frames available.

Re:

The bike I crashed was a 90's SLX, loved it.

Apologies for butting in- I just wanted to say:
You know that that Concorde is repairable? Have you stripped it down? It looks possible from the picture that that is a two tube (top & down tube) replacement. There must be some way of getting a frame builder to evaluate whether or not it is 'merely' a two tube replacement job or a more costly whole front end replacement job before committing to the work. Admittedly major frame repairs can work out pretty expensive, especially if you want them to put the paint back on afterwards, and you can almost certainly find a replacement SLX (or SL) frame for the same money (or less than) the repair would cost. I only mention this as an alternative since you used the 'L' word..

Strangely enough that damage does look like what you'd expect from front-ending a Reynolds 531db (rather than Columbus) frame- the bullet-proof forks unscathed but top 'n' down tubes completely f*cked just behind the head lugs. I'd have expected a Columbus fork to show some visible distortion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concorde-Squa ... Sw2gxY2BWS

Looks in great condition. Unsure of the tubing type, as its a generic Columbus decal but judging by the pantographing its either a Squadra or Prelude (two of the high end Concordes) and probably SLX or TSX depending on the year.

The brazed on Italian flag on the top tube confirms it as a higher end model. If it had a Cinelli spoiler bottom bracket, I'd be pretty sure of SLX/TSX.

Regardless of al that, its not worth any more than £350 though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back