Need help with a wrong size frame.....

jackosbournesnr":2ze76eld said:
Cheers. That one's SL. I was out on my SLX one earlier today.

Looking at the Trek, the brakes, shifters and drivetrain will all transplant without issue, to whatever you buy.

You might need a different bottom bracket, dependant on the threading of the new frame and you'll need to, as you already mentioned, use a different seatpost and stem if its steel you're buying.

If the new frame has a braze on front derailleur hanger then you simply attach the FD from the Trek. If the seat tube doesn't have a braze on then an adapter like the one you linked to at SJS will do the job. Bear in mind that there are 3 potential tube sizes and you'll need to get the right adapter (28.6/31.8/35mm).

there's plenty of friendly help on here, so if you get the frame and then post pics of it I'm sure there will be a number of helpful posts advising how and what you need to make the bits from the Trek work on the new frame.

I have several unmodified 80's/90's frames working with parts from other bikes and vintages. So, speaking from experience, you need not worry much...Almost anything is do-able.

You certainly look after your bikes. Thanks for the info, it is certainly good news and I still have all the bits from my old bike which should swap over at worst. I actually really like the shimano 600 stuff but as I'm a little unfit the triple might come in handy. This is a pic of the old bike [URL=http://s750.photobucket.com/us...om/albums/xx141/mazzamark/DSC_0910b.jpg[/img][/url]

yorkie1956":1o8jpoa2 said:
Short wheel base model eh..
The Trek frame looks about my size if it's looking for a home?

Yes unfortunately! It will be available when I get back to the UK to dismantle it, its a 54cm

Looks like quite a collision. She was a beauty, but it's better the bike dying than you.

Looking at the damage, I'd be inclined not to reuse the handlebars or stem as they may have sustained damage that isn't immediately visible. Of the parts of a bike you don't want to suddenly fail on you, those are right at the top of the list.

If you're out of condition, a triple will make life easier. I have a couple of triples from when I regularly did long distances and also as I can't go anywhere locally without hitting inclines!

Like many on here, I spend a lot of time riding and maintaining my bikes. Way more time than my wife is happy with... And on that note... I'm off for a ride.

Keep us posted with your hunt for a new frame.

Re:

Thanks, I did around 10k amazing miles and I cant seem to replace her.

I was bidding on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58cm-Columbus ... fresh=true

Ideal as I could get it collected, never mind, some people have nothing better to do on a Sunday than sit about and bid last second, it probably wasnt the bargain of the century either though.

If you know of something similar please let me know, I keep missing bikes and a major pain living in Portugal.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
jackosbournesnr":1krs2ge2 said:
Looking at the damage, I'd be inclined not to reuse the handlebars or stem as they may have sustained damage that isn't immediately visible. Of the parts of a bike you don't want to suddenly fail on you, those are right at the top of the list.

If you're out of condition, a triple will make life easier. I have a couple of triples from when I regularly did long distances and also as I can't go anywhere locally without hitting inclines!

Like many on here, I spend a lot of time riding and maintaining my bikes. Way more time than my wife is happy with... And on that note... I'm off for a ride.

Keep us posted with your hunt for a new frame.

Agreed, very good point, it was a massive impact and to be honest I didnt even think of the unseen damage to the stem etc.

It is funny, I have 100% support from my wife to get back into cycling. She hasnt got a clue about the time needed to ride and maintain.

Hope you enjoyed your ride.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Its nice, but I think thats a lot of money for a frameset.

Also, the rust hole above "Corsa" on the top tube looks to be well into the tube wall, so the end is nigh for that one.

I'd let someone else discover they've bought an old frame with limited time left on the road.

Depends on the brand, and when it comes to eBay, your luck.

Eg. My genuine team issue (probably) PDM Concorde (SLX) was a bargain because nobody with Concorde knowledge was looking when it was up for sale.

For SLX/TSX I'd expect to pay around 300 for a well known brand, maybe 500 up for the super-brands and as much as £1000 for rare ones or those with a verifiable provenance.

Spend a bit of time getting a feel for what they go for. Then be prepared to hunt and wait as that's when you get lucky.

If your desperate, I have a 58cm Cougar that I might consider selling to someone that would use it but it's Reynolds 653.

Latest posts

Back